Los Angeles Office Associate
Lisa Wise Consulting, Inc. (LWC), an urban planning and economics firm, seeks a full-time Associate to join our team and contribute to our growing practice. The Associate position focuses on research, data review, compilation and analysis, technical writing, editing, report production, graphics, mapping, and community outreach.
LWC was founded in 2006 and has grown to national prominence with offices in San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, and Los Angeles. Our projects range from sign code updates in Portland, Maine and Arlington Massachusetts to comprehensive zoning ordinance updates, TOD and Specific Plans throughout California and in Hawaii, Ohio, Nevada, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Texas.
LWC’s core business is long-range planning, zoning ordinances, form-based codes, economic and financial feasibility analysis, revitalizations strategies, housing policy, and design standards and guidelines. All LWC projects involve some degree of community engagement from personal interviews to charrettes, workshops, public meetings, surveys and public hearings. Our work is marked by strong collaboration, group problem solving, very open communication and an unwavering commitment to excellence.
This is a full-time position is based out of LWC’s Los Angeles Office. Direct report will be LWC Senior Associate in Los Angeles.
- Working closely with LWC Associates, Senior Associates and Directors on project deliverables and proposals.
- Conducting background research, organizing data, and summarizing findings (in writing) for LWC project managers.
- Performing technical analysis, writing, and updating zoning and development codes; including use-based, form-based, and performance-based code.
- Writing long-range plans, specific plans, corridor plans, TOD and master plans, including developing policy language related to land use, community design, and economic development.
- Supporting project managers in the preparation of community outreach strategies, peripheral material, presentations, participating in public meetings, gathering and summarizing community input
- Contributing to the report production process, including graphic layouts, technical writing, on-going edits and revisions and coordinating input from project partners
- Preparing graphics, maps, data and infographics to effectively communicate findings and recommendations in proposals, reports, memos, web site and social media, using GIS, InDesign, SketchUp, Illustrator, etc.
- Managing multiple assignments.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent written and spoken communication
- Excels in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with ESRI software
- Experience writing long range plans and policy documents
- Familiarity with using and writing zoning and development code
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Interest in relationship between zoning regulations and long-range planning
- Interest in and knowledge of economics and finance impacts on urban planning
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Degree in urban planning, public policy, community design or related subject is required, Master’s Degree is preferred
- 2 - 3 years of professional experience in urban planning is required
All qualified job applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.