Planning Review Technician (Planner, Senior)
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region’s success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region’s collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships.
The Plan Review Technician (Planner, Senior) will assist the Community Development Group in the day-to-day technical and administrative support for coordinating intergovernmental/interagency and local government reviews including: Developments of Regional Impact, Area Plan Reviews, state-required local comprehensive planning reviews, Metro River Protection Act Reviews, etc. This is a part-time temporary (20 hours on average per week) position that is not eligible for benefits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Opens and closes regional reviews using ARC’s Plan Review database, uploads documents to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) and ARC’s website;
- Circulates review information to potentially impacted parties such as local, regional and state agency staff;
- Serves as the point of contact for DRI and local comprehensive plan reviews and inquiries about the process, and in consultation with the ARC Plan Review Coordinator, determines DRI eligibility and responds to technical questions regarding comprehensive plan reviews;
- Schedules, prepares materials, attends and coordinates follow-up for, DRI pre-review meetings and Georgia Regional Transportation Authority (GRTA) staff recommendation meetings;
- Maps DRI projects within ARC’s GIS environments;
- Perform other duties assigned to support agency goals and objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of Georgia local, regional and state agencies/planning;
- Knowledge of the development review process and the local comprehensive plan review process and state planning regulations;
- Ability to read site plans, gather data, analyze findings and apply logic and reason;
- Ability to coordinate deadlines, prioritize work demands, and monitor programs/projects;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Possess strong problem-solving, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Possess strong interpersonal, analytical and organization skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and ArcGIS.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (equivalent combination acceptable):
- Bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, transportation planning, urban planning, onomics, landscape architecture or related field
- Two (2) years of planning experience