Three Year Limited Term Position
Community Development Department
ABOUT THE POSITION
City of Gilroy is currently recruiting for one (1) full time Planner I position (for a 3 year limited term). The goal for the Community Development Department is to provide current and long term community planning services in conformance with the Gilroy General Plan, consistent with city council direction to enhance the design and livability of residential neighborhoods, commercial areas and industrial zones within the city's urban sphere of influence, and to promote sustainable development. The City is currently updating the General Plan to the year 2040, as well as a comprehensive update to the Zoning Ordinance. In addition, the City is planning to open a One Stop Development Center in the near future.
Under the direct supervision of the Planning Division Manager, performs most professional planning duties, including the development and preservation of affordable housing, using independent judgment in making decisions; may be assigned full responsibility for particular projects or phases of planning work; performs functions in all levels of the planning process, such as project preparation and analysis, presentation, explanation, and enforcement.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Planning experience with a public agency.
- A general understanding of land use entitlement processes, California Land Use Planning regulations and CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act).
- The ability to interpret and consistently apply local, state, federal standards and policies.
- Exceptional customer service skills and an approachable demeanor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively convey technical or complex information, such as land use regulations, to diverse audiences from community members to City Council Members.
- Strong analytical skills and be detail oriented with excellent time management skills.
- A desire to help create and implement new division policies and procedures.
- Self-motivation, and a work style that supports teamwork, collaboration and positive relationships that will support and compliment the City of Gilroy environment and customer service goals.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, a desire to grow professionally, and open to accepting new challenges.
- Some experience with GIS or other computer design programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Accept applications, prepare research documents, perform site inspections and prepare staff reports and recommendations for planning application. Review and sign off construction plans for land development projects.
- Review and sign off business licenses, home occupation permits, sign permits, demolition permits and temporary use permits.
- Prepare and evaluate various CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) documents including environmental initial studies and direct developers in preparing environmental impact reports.
- Meet with and advise developers and the general public concerning the City's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Map Act, development policies, codes, and other planning-related policies.
- Prepare maps, charts and other graphic materials for staff reports, public meetings, displays and other reference materials.
- Perform zoning code enforcement work, including investigation of citizen complaints, field checks, issuance of correction notices and citations, and court appearances.
- May actively participate in the research, development and writing of the City's Housing Element update, Consolidated Plan and other housing policy documents.
- Help maintain statistics on the City's supply of affordable housing and conduct periodic reviews of City's compliance with its Housing Element.
- Assist in preparing and evaluate various federal environmental documents including environmental initial studies and direct developers in preparing environmental impact reports related to federally funded housing projects.
- Assist with and advise developers and the general public concerning the City's Residential Development Ordinance exemption for affordable housing and related policies, codes, and ordinances.
- May meet with and advise nonprofit agencies, developers and the general public concerning opportunities for funding and other support of affordable housing, special needs housing and homeless and transitional housing facilities.
- Assist in monitoring the City's Below Market rate units for compliance with program regulations, including those involved with resale of units.
- Assist HCD Grant Coordinator with implementing and maintaining homeownership and housing rehabilitation programs.
- Process non-complex planning permits such as hillside homes and modifications.
- Provide general front counter assistance at the to the public.
- Present staff reports at Planning Commission, City Council, and special study sessions as needed.
- Participate in training programs and other related work as required.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from a four year college with a major in City planning or in a related field, and one year of recent full-time professional planning experience.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Pass a background check which includes a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish)
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- City of Gilroy employment application including supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A detailed cover letter expressing your interest in the Planner I position with the City of Gilroy
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Monday, August 6, 2018
Oral Board Interviews and Practical: Thursday,August 29, 2019
Finalist Interviews: Wednesday, September 4, 2019
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.