Community & Economic Development Director
The City of Stanton is home to more than 39,000 residents, and over 2,500 business in the heart of northwestern Orange County. Stanton has an excellent career opportunity for a dynamic, experienced and visionary leader to plan and direct the activities of the Community Development Department.
Summary: The purpose of this position is to plan, organize and direct the activities of the Community Development Department including planning, community development and building inspection; to plan, direct and implement City COuncil directive for the furtherance of the City's core goals for economic development; and to provide highly complex staff assistance to the City Manager, City Council and Planning Commission.
• Develop, plan, implement and administer Department goals and objectives as well as policies and procedures necessary to provide assigned planning, building inspection, redevelopment and housing programs and services; approve new or modified programs, systems, policies and procedures.
• Direct the development and administration of the Department's budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; recommend and implement mid-year corrections.
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the Department's work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Coordinate Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the Planning Commission, City Manager and City Council; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Recommend appointment of, train, motivate and evaluate staff; establish and monitor employee performance objectives; prepare and present employee performance reviews; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures; recommend employee terminations; approve time cards and expense reports.
• Direct, coordinate and review all building inspection service functions including on-site inspection and plan checking.
• Confer with and advise administrative staff on problems related to the design and construction of public facilities systems and the interpretation and enforcement of construction specifications.
• Serve as technical advisor to the City Manager and City Council on Community Development related matters; develop comprehensive recommendations for management use.
• Respond to and resolve difficult citizen inquiries and complaints.
• Meet with commissions and the public in small and large groups to discuss City Community Development policies, practices and problems.
Experience/Training/Education: Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Six years of professional and administrative experience in community planning and development or economic development.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public administration or a related field.
Apply By: Monday, July 8, 2019. Please submit a completed City application form, cover letter, resume, three work-related references and completed supplemental questionnaire to firstname.lastname@example.org or City of Stanton, 7800 Katella Ave., Stanton, CA 90680. For a detailed employment announcement and job brochure, visit the City's website: www.ci.stanton.ca.us. For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Jarad Hildenbrand at (714) 890-4277 or via e-mail at email@example.com. EOE