The Assistant Director supports the Director of Planning in providing leadership, administration, management, strategic thinking, visioning, and development of the Planning Department. The Assistant Director should be a confident, self-disciplined person who can work closely with the Department Director, elected and appointed officials, other county departments, public agencies, developers and the public to ensure that the work performed by the department meets the highest standards of quality.
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
Serves as Assistant Director of Monroe County Plan Commission, assists in administering department operations and personnel, enforcing zoning ordinances, developing the County's Comprehensive Plan, and assisting in supervising department personnel and other duties as assigned.
Participates in Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals meetings, training sessions, public presentations, and comprehensive plan updates.
Performs duties of Planning Director in his/her absence.
SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
• Excellent communication skills
• Creative and critical thinker
• Writing and GIS proficiency
• Strong commitment to public service and community
• Team orientation and personal accountability
Masters degree in planning or a closely related field with minimum of three to five years previous experience.
Possession of or Membership in American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
Starting salary of $58,458 per year; $67,985 after 3 years (40 hours per week).
• Increases at 1, 3, 8, and 14 years of service;
• Medical, dental, vision, life insurance and Employees Health Clinic
• Membership in Indiana Public Employees Retirement System
• Free transit pass
• Paid APA dues (including AICP)
LIVING IN BLOOMINGTON, INDIANA:
• Home of Indiana University
• Culturally diverse community with vibrant music, food and arts scene
• Close to parks, nature and bike trails, Lake Monroe, and the Hoosier National Forest
• 1 hour's drive to Indianapolis.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit the Monroe County website listed below:
Submit the following:
1) County Application for Employment;
2) Resume; and
3) References to:
Larry J. Wilson, AICP
Planning Director, Monroe County Planning Department
Monroe County Government Center
501 N. Morton St., Suite 224
Bloomington, IN 47404
Phone: (812) 349-2561
Deadline for Application: Friday, June 14, 2019 at 4:00 PM
Interviews will begin immediately.