Assistant Planner or Associate Planner
The Town of Ross has an exciting opportunity to fill a full-time, two-year limited term Assistant Planner or Associate Planner position in the Planning and Building Department. This is a great opportunity to become part of a team of dedicated individuals that take pride in serving the local community.
About the Town of Ross: Ross is located in the heart of the Ross Valley in Marin County, approximately 15 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge and 15 minutes from the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. It is primarily a single-family residential community of approximately 2,500 residents. Our town center includes the wonderful Ross Common, the nationally renowned Ross School and the charming, albeit small, Ross commercial area.
Distinguishing Characteristics: The Assistant Planner is an entry-level position. It is characterized by the responsibility for providing staff support in policy and land use planning activities under close supervision. Incumbents learn to apply professional planning principles within a municipal government setting, including research, compilation, analysis, and reporting of planning data; project management of a variety of current land use planning assignments; and preparation of planning reports, studies and recommendations. As experience and proficiency are gained, incumbents are expected to work with less supervision.
The Associate is the journey level in the professional planning series in which incumbents are expected to possess knowledge and abilities to independently perform responsible administrative and professional planning work; conduct research, compilation, analysis, and reporting of planning data depending on qualifications; handle a variety of current land use planning assignments; and prepare planning reports, studies and recommendations.
Typical Duties For The Position Include:
- Respond to inquiries from the public by providing information regarding the General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Town regulations, and statistical data.
- Receive and review applications for zoning permits, design review permits, conditional use permits, and variances for conformance with the General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, and other regulations; and prepare staff reports recommending appropriate action.
- Conduct environmental review including preparation of initial studies and negative declarations, technical and administrative support on the preparation of Environmental Impact Reports and staff reports on all phases of environmental review.
- Analyze various professional planning studies including, but not limited to, demographics, traffic, biological assessments, arborist reports, and historic resources.
- Check construction plans to ensure conformity with Town regulations and project conditions.
- Conduct data collection and research for various Planning projects and surveys.
- Prepare reports and studies and represent the Department before the public, other agencies, and developer representatives.
- Attend, participate, and present reports at meetings of the Advisory Design Review Group, Town Council, special committees, and neighborhood groups.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning, urban studies, geography or a related field, with one to two years of full-time work experience in municipal or regional planning preferred.
Any combination of education, experience, and training which demonstrates possession of and competency in requisite knowledge and abilities may substitute for the education (degree) on a year-for-year basis. A Master’s degree in planning or a related field may substitute for one year of the required work experience.
- California Driver’s License
- Ability to interact in a positive and helpful manner with members of the public, the City staff and other agencies
- A strong work ethic and sound organization skills
Salary up to $92,000 depending on qualifications.
The Town offers a comprehensive benefit package including CalPERS Retirement 2% at 60 for Classic employees, and 2% at 62 for those new to PERS. Other benefits include Medical, Dental, Life and Long-term Disability insurance as well as paid leave.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply via email by submitting the following:
- Cover letter
- Town Employment Application (which can be found at http://www.townofross.org/hr).
Submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission is Monday, June 17, 2019 at 4:00PM