The City of Pittsburg seeks an ASSOCIATE PLANNER for the Planning Division in the Community Development Department.
Join Team Pittsburg to do meaningful work that has a real impact on the community!
Associate Planners perform professional land use and urban planning work including current and long range planning, implementation of the general plan, review of complex zoning and development applications, and coordination of special projects; and perform other duties as required. Employees in this job are expected to independently perform the full scope research and analysis of planning issues, and preparation of planning reports, studies and recommendations.
Ideal Candidate for Associate Planner
- Knowledgeable of local government functions
- Knowledgeable of regulations, codes, and California laws that pertain to subdivisions, annexations, zoning, land use, and CEQA/NEPA
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to explain technical topics orally and in writing to people with various levels of understanding
- Great interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Meet project time frames and strive to exceed expectations
- Interested in community engagement activities and projects
About the Planning Division
The Planning Division facilitates new development consistent with the City's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other State, Federal and local regulations to maintain and enhance the community's quality of life through safety, revenue streams, and sustainability.
The City of Pittsburg is a culturally rich and diverse community of over 72,000 residents and expected to grow to 90,000 in the next 20 years. Pittsburg is located in Northern California in the Bay Area Region and is perfectly situated for easy access to the greater Bay Area, San Francisco, Napa Valley, Sacramento, and the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Lake Tahoe. Pittsburg City Hall is also conveniently located a short walk from the Pittsburg Center Station for the Bay Area Rapid Transit System (BART), making a commute from cities throughout the Bay Area very easy. Pittsburg has waterfront homes, performing arts theater, a variety of seasonal events, an extensive park system, a large public school system, and a variety of shopping centers. It also offers extensive recreational facilities, including one of the California Delta's largest and most modern marinas. With its commitment to a quality community environment, Pittsburg is an ideal city in which to live, work and recreate.
The City of Pittsburg is a full service city following the council-manager form of government. We have about 270 full time employees and about 350 employees total (depending on the season). Benefits for permanent employees include great location, salary increases, CALPERS retirement, medical/dental insurance, paid life insurance, retirement health saving account, deferred compensation plan with employer match, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance program, employee development courses, and career advancement opportunities.
Check out the Pittsburg's Facebook Page to see more about what the City offers: https://www.facebook.com/CityOfPittsburgCa/
Education and/or Experience: A Bachelor's degree in city or regional planning or a related field supplemented by two years of increasingly responsible experience in city or regional planning. Master's degree can be substituted for one year of experience.
License/Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid Class C California driver's license. Possess and maintain proof of auto liability insurance.
1. Application process: Applicants must complete an online employment application which includes a supplemental questionnaire by the final filing deadline at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pittsburg. The full job annoucnement is available on the wesbite as well. Employment applications will be disqualified if a resume is submitted in lieu of completing the application or if sections of the applications are left blank that relate to the minimum qualifications of the job such as education and work history. Applications will be evaluated to determine if it meets the minimum qualifications of the job. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase in the process. All communication regarding your application status will be sent via email only.
2. Testing process (Weighted 100%): Those appearing to have the best combination of training and experience will be invited to continue in the recruitment process. Testing assessment process will consist of a written exercise and structured oral board panel interview with subject matter experts. The City reserves the right to utilize alternate testing methods if deemed necessary. Tentative Examination Date: May 23, 2019
3. Eligibility List: Candidates who successfully complete all testing components with a passing rating will be placed on an eligibility list (hiring list). The hiring department may contact candidates on the list for a hiring interview to fill the vacancy.
CITY OF PITTSBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER