Planner Coordinator (10527, 14053, Grade 26)
Job Type Career Full-Time
Department PRINCE GEORGE'S PLANNING
Position Numbers 10527 and 14053
Closing 5/20/2019 11:59 PM Eastern
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission is seeking two innovative, experienced, and highly-motivated Planner Coordinators to join our team in working to help shape the future of one of the nation's largest, most diverse counties.
Prince George's County, Maryland is a metropolitan destination for technological innovation, world-class higher education, performing arts, hospitality and tourism, and entrepreneurship. It is home to a diverse, engaged, and energetic population of 900,000 residents that live, work, and play in a wide range of interconnected urban, suburban, and rural communities immediately adjacent to Washington, DC. Connected to nearby international centers of commerce, government, and culture by the Metrorail system and an increasing range of transportation and networking options, the County is becoming a destination of choice for new residents, workers, students, and visitors.
The Department is transforming to meet the challenges and facilitate the opportunities presented by the County's economic growth. This is an opportunity for highly motivated, experienced community planners to be advocates for implementing the County's award-winning comprehensive general plan, Plan Prince George's 2035. The Department uses best professional practices, measurable metrics, and creative engagement techniques to create and implement community-focused master plans and studies.
These positions provide the following opportunities to:
- Work in a multi-cultural community adjacent to the nation's capital.
- Lead the development of a variety of community plans for urban, suburban and rural areas.
- Work with all levels of government: municipal, county, state, regional, and federal, on planning and implementation.
The selected candidates will lead interdisciplinary teams, including staff, consultants, and agency partners, in the development of comprehensive master and sector plans, planning studies, and comprehensive zoning map amendments. This work involves managing community outreach and engagement, interagency coordination, and communication of complex and controversial information to a variety of audiences to complete assigned duties.
Examples of Important Duties
- Prepare detailed work programs, requests for proposals for consultant contracts, and manage and coordinate consultant activities.
- Manage the development and approval of plans adhering to the County's legislative process ensuring that requirements for public hearings, notification, and approval are met.
- Perform administrative work relating to project/process leadership and coordination responsibilities. Provide recommendations and input to the development of division work program and budget.
- Review and analyze development proposals for sector and master plan compliance and community impacts through written reports and oral testimony at public hearings.
- Lead and/or participate in plan implementation activities.
- Make presentations to a variety of audiences including large public meetings, the County Council, the Planning Board, community groups, interagency working groups, and other stakeholders.
Master's degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and three years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience at the journey level; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Class/Specification Title: Planner Coordinator
- Membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners.
- Professional experience working in diverse communities.
- Demonstrable urban design experience, including, but not limited to, the ability to articulate urban design concepts verbally, in writing, and graphically.
- A working understanding of real estate market dynamics, land use planning, zoning, urban design, and TOD best practices.
- Ability to work with all levels of government and established communities in a diverse, innovative planning environment.
- Knowledge of principles of record keeping and records management.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience developing requests for proposals, procuring consultant services, and managing consultants and consultant contracts.
- Multilingual verbal and writing skills a plus (Spanish desired).
NOTE: Candidates selected for interview will be asked to prepare a writing sample at the conclusion of their interview.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $60,326 to $103,429 at the Planner Coordinator level with an excellent benefits package. The Commission is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.