Transportation Planner III
Performs transportation funds programming, cyclical budgeting activities, and liaison duties on behalf of Fairfax County. Manages Fairfax County's Fund 40010 (County and Regional Transportation Projects), and oversight of service district revenues, and proffer funds; collectively managing and overseeing over $100 million annually in transportation revenue. Assists with the management of all funds used for the implementation of Fairfax County's Transportation Priorities Plan (TPP). Development of funding strategies for transportation projects, and creation and monitoring of capital program cash flows. Pursues transportation funding from various sources and assists in development of project funding agreements. Analyzes transportation policy issues and provides recommendations. Assist in the development and implementation of business processes. Oral and written interaction with other county staff, elected officials, and external parties. Supervision of one or more transportation planners.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, urban, regional or transportation planning, or a closely related field; plus four years of professional experience in civil engineering, urban, regional or transportation planning, or a closely related field.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Experience in four or more of the following areas, one of which must be prior experience managing transportation funds, and large-scale budgets.
- Experience in monitoring and developing capital improvement programs for multi-modal transportation projects;
- Pursuing federal, state, and regional grants (e.g. Commonwealth of Virginia's Smart Scale Program, federal discretionary grant programs, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) Six Year Program) grants and developing funding strategies;
- Experience with local and state governments, boards, commissions, authorities and transportation agencies;
- Analyzing transportation and policy issues at the state or federal level;
- Identifying work flow issues and developing solutions;
- Transportation funds management, preparing multimillion-dollar budgets, and experience with SAP financial/accounting software;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with government officials and the public;
- Strong analytical, verbal and writing skills.
Work is generally sedentary. However employee may be required to do some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items under 25 pounds in weight. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.