Pedestrian and Bicycle Planner
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) is seeking a Pedestrian and Bicycle Planner will be a highly motivated, creative, and responsible candidate with strong public communication skills to work within the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services. The employee will be responsible for aspects of major planning functions and projects requiring advanced skills in research and analysis, such as Vision Zero, Safe Routes to School, and bicycle parking. This employee will be the primary point of contact and project manager for Capital Bikeshare (current operations and expansion) and Dockless Mobility.
- Continue efforts to streamline processes using project management software and more efficient use of meeting times;
- Think strategically and interactively about programs, processes, and systems used in an effort to become more efficient and effective;
- Think strategically about citywide Complete Streets needs to develop new capital projects and grant applications;
- Manage the operations and expansion of Capital Bikeshare. This involves working with Motivate and coordinating with regional partners, processing invoices, solving problems, public outreach, station siting, working with VDOT grants, etc;
- Manage elements of the Complete Streets Repaving Survey, including posting, advertising, and analyzing comments;
- Supports the City's Shared Mobility program;
- Manages request-based programs like the residential sidewalk and traffic calming program by collecting citizen requests, analyzing data collected, and determining priorities as well as interacting with residents, other T&ES divisions, and consultants as projects progress to implementation;
- Supports priority City projects and programs, such as Vision Zero, Complete Streets, Capital Bikeshare, and Safe Routes to School;
- Reviews traffic studies, concepts, design plans and construction documents;
- Prepares technical reports for review by Boards, Commissions, City Council and the public;
- Engages in innovative forms of public outreach;
- Coordinates with other City Departments, consultants, external stakeholders, and contractors on aspects of project implementation.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a Four-Year College Degree from an accredited college or university in regional, or urban Planning, or a closely related field such as Architecture, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Public Administration, Physical Sciences, Historic Preservation, or Environmental Studies; three years of experience or a Master's Degree with one (1) year of experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess a Master's Degree; more than two years of progressive planning experience in an urban setting; direct experience working with Bikeshare operations and/or expansion, experience in innovative public outreach methods; excellent project management skills, including the ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, manage budgets, and ensure accountability; familiarity with GIS; familiarity with active transportation planning and Complete Streets, pedestrian and bike mobility and safety, street design, and traffic engineering. Ability to communicate graphically is a plus!
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, click City of Alexandria to learn more.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to drug testing, criminal background.