College Intern (Planning)
The City of Pittsburg's Planning Department is looking for an INTERN to assist with various projects.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with planning and land use concepts with college-level coursework in planning or a related field. Successful candidates will possess strong customer service skills (on the phone and in person), computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook). Initial tasks include copying, scanning, and organizing hard copy project files, maps and drawings consistent with the City's records policies. Position may include task to assist in the General Plan Comprehensive Update process, which is currently underway.
The Planning Division facilitates new development consistent with the City's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other State, Federal and local regulations to maintain and enhance the community's quality of life through safety, revenue streams, and sustainability.
This internship is scheduled to end on June 30, 2019 with a possibility of extension.
The Intern classification is designed for the employment of persons to conduct general and specialized studies. Interns may be assigned to any department within the City organization and will gain experience in technical, administrative, budgetary and program planning work by assisting in and performing analytical and technical work.
This position is designed to accommodate an individual who is currently enrolled or has recently completed an academic program, in order to allow for the application of academic theory to a real life work environment.
College Intern Salary:
- $13.50 per hour for those who have not completed two years of education.
- $15.00 per hour for those who have completed a minimum of two years of education in Planning or a related field.
- $16.50 - $18.00 per hour for those who have completed a Bachelor's or higher degree in Planning or a related field.
1. Application process: Applicants must complete an online employment application at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pittsburg which may include a supplemental questionnaire and other required documentation such as a valid typing certificate submitted by the final filing deadline. Employment applications will be disqualified if a resume is submitted in lieu of completing the application or if sections of the applications are left blank that relate to the minimum qualifications of the job such as education and work history. Applications will be evaluated to determine if it meets the minimum qualifications of the job. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase in the process. All communication regarding your application status will be sent via email only.
2. Departmental Hiring Interviews: Accepted applicants will be interviewed by supervisory staff and offered the hourly position if successful.
3. Background Screening: Candidate will be fingerprinted for a background check and complete any other required screening.
4) The successful candidate who passes the background process will complete new hire paperwork and begin work soon after.