Bachelor’s Degree in Urban or City and Regional Planning, Economics, Engineering, or related field; and six (6) years of professional experience in economic development, transportation planning, or regional planning program management; including two (2) years of planning experience in a managerial capacity.
Direct and oversee the function of; 1) the Regional Planning Commission (IMCAL), which is concerned with economic and community development in the five parish Southwest Louisiana region, and 2) the Metropolitan Planning Organization that serves the Lake Charles Urbanized Area and is responsible for transportation planning and programming.
Duties associated with the regional planning commission include overseeing, managing and directing the staff performing economic development activities and interacting with federal, state and local member agencies. Direct the activities of the agency in the five-parish region with support and recommendations from the IMCAL Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Develop and administer the agency budget and coordinate the request for additional funds for staffing, consultant or contractor assistance, equipment, training, materials, and supplies as necessary. Direct staff training and perform necessary personnel evaluations and disciplinary actions. Duties associated with the MPO include overseeing, managing and directing the MPO's Long and Short-Range Planning, Programming, Operations, Public Outreach, and transportation analysis. Represent the MPO in various interagency, national, federal, state, parish, and local meetings and activities. Direct the development and review of project summaries for the Transportation Policy Committee (TPC) and its various Committees and other transportation policy makers with support and recommendations from the TPC/TAC. Direct the preparation of monthly agendas and activities for the TPC, and its committees. Represent the MPO on Department of Transportation and Development committees and other work groups as directed. Develop and administer the MPO budget, review program and project budgets and coordinate the request for additional funds for staffing. Direct development of the UPWP, including reviewing, and evaluating work plan progress and products. Apply laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines of local, state, and federal government related to regional transportation planning. Performs such other related duties as may be directed.
- Effective personnel management and administrative skills.
- Effective technical report preparation and presentation.
- Understanding of grant management principles, budget preparation and ability to initiate and manage multiple projects and programs.
- Ability to understand, interpret and implement federal, state, and local laws, procedures, codes and regulations.
- Ability to operate and use of modern office equipment including a personal computer and including applicable computer programs such as, Excel, Microsoft word and Power Point.
- Good organizational skills. • Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. • Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Very Good understanding of Accounting principles and budgets.
- Principles and practices of economic develop planning, grant writing, and grant management.
- Principles and practices of urban planning, multi-modal transportation planning, and growth management.
- Knowledge of research methods related to urban growth, transportation and land use planning.
- Experience and knowledge of the MPO, DOTD and related work groups.
- Familiar with the five parish Southwest Louisiana Region
- Familiar with Lake Charles Urbanized Area