Student Professional Worker Opportunity
The Community Planning Bureau seeks student professional workers (SPWs) to work primarily on the Community Planning Program. This paid opportunity will offer an enriching experience for new planners or students wishing to gain hands-on practice in city planning as it relates to plans and policies for the Central and East regions (Downtown, Boyle Heights, Hollywood, South Harbor, and West LA) of this diverse City.
Position Summary/Job Description
Tasks may include:
- Research and analysis
- Policy development, report and recommendation writing
- Map creation and analysis through GIS software
- Review and analysis of CEQA documents
- Web site development and maintenance
- Community meeting preparation, participation and outreach
- Assistance with presentations
- Database management
- Various general support duties
- Experience or education in Urban/City Planning, Transportation Planning/Engineering, Political Science, Architecture, Geography, or related fields
- Word, Excel
- Available 20–25 hrs./week for the next five to six months
- Strong visual, oral, written communication skills
Additional desired skills include:
- Experience with GIS, AutoCAD, Sketch-Up, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Bilingual in conversational English/Spanish
- Familiarity reading architectural plans
Ideal candidates are familiar with the City of Los Angeles, enjoy problem-solving, and are highly motivated and detail-oriented.
Interested candidates need to submit a resume and cover letter all in one pdf to Cherry.Yap@lacity.org by 12pm on Friday April 12, 2019. Qualified candidates will be invited for an interview April 24th or 25th.
Each applicant’s resume and cover letter will be reviewed to assess the candidate’s experience and qualifications as they relate to the ability to perform the responsibilities of these positions. Those candidates assessed to be the most qualified will be invited to participate in the interview selection process.