NATURE OF WORK
This position uses GIS hardware and software to implement and maintain the Geographic Information System (GIS) to ensure that the geographic information is accurate and current. This position reports to the City Planner and will also take general supervision and direction from the Director of Community & Economic Development for the City of Hyattsville.
- GIS Implementation: Develops, operates, and maintains the City's enterprise GIS in support of all City Departments and Divisions, City Council members, and the public as directed.
- GIS & Mapping Solutions: Leverages the ArcGIS platform to develop and deploy web and mobile mapping applications aimed to engage and communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Data Management: Creates, configures, and manages geospatial data in ArcGIS file/enterprise geodatabases; Organizes, maintains, and archives electronic and hard copy maps, surveys, and drawings.
- Data Analysis & Visualizations: Utilizes GIS technology and associated tools to support departmental business functions through the preparation of maps, reports, and other data visualization products; Performs routine GIS geoprocesses and analysis.
- Data Integration & Conversion: Participates in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data from many sources, including field data and online data sources. Identifies, reformats, and processes digital and hard copy data for inclusion in the GIS database.
- Quality Control & Assurance: Performs quality control for all data prepared to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Professional Development: Attends GIS-related meetings, conferences, trainings, and workshops as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS software including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, Collector for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, etc.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS for Server is preferred.
- Knowledge of Adobe software such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
- Skill in producing professional, high quality, GIS-based cartographic/visual products.
- Skill in Microsoft Office, particularly MS Excel and MS Access.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to present statistics and data analyses in an effective manner.
- Ability to develop complex and detailed plans and procedures.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City and County staff, business partners, and general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Work is usually sedentary with occasional walking, standing, bending, carrying items under 25 pounds, such as GIS equipment, books, files, papers, etc.
- Good vision is required to clearly distinguish line patterns and colors and the ability to concentrate in noisy environments and produce accurate data and reports.
- Occasional travel for field work and attendance at off-site training and meetings.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Information Systems is required, or other computer-related field including courses specifically related to GIS.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience with GIS or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION
- GISP certification highly desirable but not required.
Please note that this description is not intended to describe all the duties associated with this position and the City in its sole discretion reserves the right to modify the duties of the position.
The City of Hyattsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation.
Applications may be picked up at the Hyattsville City Administrative Office, 4310 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, MD, at the 3rd floor reception area, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The City application is also available for download at www.hyattsville.org. Instructions to transmit cover letter, resume and application are on the first page of the City application. Questions on this vacancy may be directed to Vivian Snellman at 301-985-5043. Questions on the application process may be directed to Cindy Canfield at 240-487-1706.
NOTE: To be considered for this position all candidates are to provide a cover letter, resume, AND City application.