Senior Program Director – State and Local Policy
Enterprise’s mission is to create opportunity for low- and moderate-income people through the creation of affordable housing in diverse, thriving communities.
The Enterprise is a national organization with offices throughout the country. The San Francisco-based team covers a range of the most relevant and pressing affordable housing issues facing the California, especially the Bay Area. The team works to provide policy, tools, support and solutions for alongside our affordable housing partners – including nonprofit developers, government agencies, and community-based organizations.
The Senior Policy Director develops and executes a state and local policy agenda, in coordination with Enterprise’s Southern California office and state partners, to advance Enterprise’s policy priorities around the production and preservation of affordable housing, tenant protections from displacement, and the fair and equitable placement of affordable housing choices. The position also coordinates with Enterprise’s federal policy team to align federal policy making with state, regional and local policy, and leads all strategic communications for the Northern California office with support from national communications staff.
The Senior Policy Director reports to the Vice President and Market Leader for Northern California and is supported by national and other local policy staff in Enterprise’s other offices. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, enthusiastic, creative and effective team player eager to support both the Enterprise team and external partners. The position requires organizing, public speaking, writing, diplomacy and the ability to perform a wide array of tasks in a fast-paced environment with light supervision.
While this staff member will be located in San Francisco, s/he will periodically travel to Sacramento, Los Angeles, and other regions of the state as needed for 1-2 days.
- Lead state-level policy and advocacy work with appropriations, legislation, ballot measures, and regulations in coordination with other state partners.
- Track and monitor key regional and local housing and community development appropriations, legislation, ballot measures, and policies.
- Cultivate and deepen strategic partnerships and work with policy makers, policy implementers, advocacy organization and key stakeholders at the state, regional and local level
- Craft policy positions for vetting internal and external purposes.
- Prepare and edit advocacy materials, including reports, fact sheets, case studies, legislative summaries, and social media messages. Plan and staff select policy-related workshops and events.
- Attend relevant briefings, meetings, and legislative hearings, as needed, and provide report backs to program staff as appropriate.
- Support federal policy advocacy at the state and local level, and coordinate with Enterprise’s federal policy team to align federal policy making with state, regional and local policy.
Coordinate and lead internal strategic communications with support from national communications staff and local office staff.
Enterprise is committed to diversity and equity, both internally and externally. Our team believes high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we are actively seeking a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and with lived experience.
- Working knowledge of how policy is crafted and passed in local, regional and state policy arenas.
- Knowledge of and experience working in affordable housing strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated professionalism, diplomacy, composure, flexibility and ability to adapt to a variety of situations.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems and take responsibility for moving tasks forward with minimal supervision.
- Strong initiative with ability to seek out relevant information prior to making timely decisions.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate complex activities prioritize conflicting demands and meet deadlines.
- Superior ability to understand and strive to meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders and develop professional relationships with partners.
- Strong communication skills with ability to clearly express ideas, thoughts and concepts verbally and in writing.
- Ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and use good judgment in managing conflicting demands and priorities.
- Strong research and writing skills and the ability to analyze and report/summarize policy issues.
- Experience with advocacy strategies and campaigns preferred.
- Excellent grammar, editing and proofreading skills to produce complete, correct correspondence, proposals, reports and white papers.
- Commitment to a collaborative process internally and externally.
- Experience with strategic communications preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point.