SB Friedman Development Advisors is a development consulting firm with a mission to guide and enable our clients to create high-quality places through the practice of real estate economics, development finance and urban planning. We assist in the planning and implementation of complex public-private real estate development projects. We work closely with our clients to evaluate development potential and financial and business impacts; project market and financial feasibility; identify innovative public-private development solutions; and prepare implementable development strategies. The firm works nationally, with a focus on the Midwest. Clients include various cities, suburbs, metro planning organizations and other public bodies, not-for-profit institutions, and private developers.
The Research Associate is responsible for research, analysis, project support, and assisting in report development. The position requires an educational background in planning with an orientation toward economics and real estate. Candidates should have a research and analytical orientation, with demonstrated attention to detail and ability to take on professional responsibility.
Requirements of Position
The Research Associate position requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in planning, economics or public policy, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior full-time and-or part-time relevant experience is preferred. Candidates should also demonstrate:
- Quantitative analysis skills, particularly using Microsoft Excel
- Strength in oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Detail orientation and accuracy
- Commitment to community revitalization and economic development
- Experience with GIS (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, Esri Business Analyst, and/or QGIS)
- A driver's license (within six months of start)
The following additional skills and experience are desirable for Associate candidates:
- Data visualization and/or graphic design experience
- Experience/interest in working with big data (e.g. VBA, Python, R, etc.)
We are focused on the professional success of our employees and offer the following:
- Competitive salary
- Performance-based bonus compensation
- Generous benefits packages, including company-paid health and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, vacation, and 10+ paid holidays
- Paid membership to professional organization to encourage professional growth
- Regular peer-delivered “brown bag” sessions on topics of professional interest
- Monthly happy hours and staff get-togethers
- Newly renovated offices overlooking the Chicago River in the Loop
All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, gender identity, military status or an unfavorable discharge from military service.
Please send the following documents (pdf or Word) to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Written sample of your academic or professional work
- Map and/or data visualization work samples
Writing samples should be primarily authored by the applicant; if a team project is submitted, clearly indicate the responsibilities and contributions of the applicant. Incomplete submittals or submittals in other formats may not be considered or reviewed.