Category: Full Time Professional
Supervisor: Environmental Planner works under the supervision of the Assistant Director and the Executive Director.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
1. Work with and maintain a positive relationship with municipalities, state and federal agencies, utilities, non-profits and private sector partners.
2. Effectively promote the development of cost-effective environmental initiatives throughout the region by securing federal, state and private funding.
3. Identify and prioritize municipal and regional needs, and outline new opportunities to advance environmental quality.
4. Conduct technical environmental studies and analysis on technical issues related to air quality, water quality, climate change and adaptation, sustainability and resiliency, hazard mitigation, alternative and healthy transportation, stormwater management, habitat and species protection, and brownfields identification and remediation.
5. Provide technical and administrative assistance to the Northern Middlesex Stormwater Collaborative, a consortium of communities working together to address EPA MS4 permit requirements.
6. Review and comment on policy documents, environmental reviews under MEPA and NEPA, and proposed legislation and regulatory and policy changes at the state and federal levels.
7. Ensure that NMCOG documents comply with Federal and State environmental regulations.
8. Develop grant applications for various state and federal grant programs.
9. Prepare certain elements of community master plans.
10. Present information and recommendations to the Council, committees, advisory committees, member communities and the general public.
11. Other duties as assigned.
·Strong technical, written, and oral communication skills
·Professionalism, diplomacy and strong interpersonal skills
·Public presentation skills
·Knowledge of master plans, permitting processes, public policy, smart growth, stormwater management, climate change and adaptation, and other sustainable planning techniques and strategies
·Computer literacy: Working knowledge of PCs and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
·Demonstrated success in handling multiple concurrent projects
·Demonstrated ability to be organized, detail-oriented, and accurate
·Ability to work independently on complex projects, and an ability to quickly adapt with minimal coaching to new situations, processes and priorities
·Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, engineering, planning or a related field; Masters Degree preferred
·A minimum of five years of professional work experience in the area of environmental planning or environmental science is highly desirable
·Any combination of education and experience that would provide the desired skills, knowledge and ability to perform the job.