Planning Manager– Transportation & Mobility – Public Works
Application Process: We encourage you to apply as soon as possible because this posting may close without notice.
The Department of Public Works, through its employees, provides for the delivery of high quality, cost effective, efficient safe services involving public infrastructure and facilities to enhance the quality of life in Denver. For more information, please visit the Public Works website at http://www.denvergov.org/dpw.
The Transportation and Mobility Planning division supports the overall department to provide visioning, strategic planning, and innovation. This division oversees Pedestrian/Bicycle planning, Transit Planning, Capital Programming, Vision Zero, TDM, overall planning and conceptual design support, and community engagement.
The Transportation and Mobility Planning team has an opening for a Planning Manager. In this position, you will be able to help establish near and long term strategic multimodal vision for the City to support and achieve the goals of Denver’s Mobility Action Plan and other department goals under the direction of the Director of Planning.
In addition, additional duties include:
- Create and/or modify policies as needed to support changing business requirements and spearhead to develop, prioritize, and present budget recommendations
- Serve as a technical expert in the transportation planning field and industry
- Provide expertise and consultative guidance to internal and external stakeholders as assigned which may include elected and appointed officials, citizens, and members of the business community
- Manage programs and planning efforts within the team to ensure transportation planning is considering all modes of travel
- Direct the performance of the division through the development, application and tracking of KPIs, metrics, and goals with the intention of exceeding all benchmarks
- Work with the management team and staff to recommend strategic initiatives, goals, and objectives for the division and provide support and guidance to implement them once approved including the Strategic Transportation Plan, Denveright Plans, Citywide strategic documents including the 2030 Mobility Action Plan etc.
- Establish and implement standards, procedures, systems and guidelines. Functionally focus on managing the planning functions of Public Works under the direction of the Director of Planning including but not limited to the focus areas of transit, pedestrian/bicycle, mobility innovation, vision zero and other initiatives
- Should the Director of Planning deem it necessary, there is the potential to manage supervisors as direct reports and perform performance coaching and evaluation throughout the calendar year.
- Manage internal and external resources to effectively deliver the lines of business associated with the department’s planning function
- Track, monitor and report on fiscal status of division to ensure projects and programs stay on schedule and budget
- Determine program priorities and projects for subordinate supervisors and staff in coordination with other Managers and Directors
- Communicate both internally and externally to establish and maintain working relationships with employees and external stakeholders including appointed and elected officials.
- Foster an atmosphere of innovation in order to challenge the organization to think creatively, especially as it relates to positive citizen and customer experience opportunities
- Actively engage staff to obtain support and commitment; motivate and encourage staff to meet goals, objectives, and a standard of continual improvement
- Ensure all levels of staff are sufficiently knowledgeable and equipped to carry out objectives and meet/exceed performance expectations and standards. Position staff to develop their careers either within or outside of the City
While the full pay range of this Job Classification is $101,091.00 - $161,746.00, our target hiring salary for this position is between $116,255.00 - $131,419.00, depending on education, experience and qualifications.
If you are invited to interview, you will need to bring along samples of design-related planning work related to the position.
Ideal Candidate Summary
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience as a supervisor overseeing a team of staff that has built relationships with multiple stakeholders
- An innovative vision and strategic, tactical planning skills to bring multi-modal components together for a growing city
- Process-oriented skills, yet a strong understanding the holistic view of the Department of Public Works as a multi-modal team lead
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in City or Regional Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Public Administration, or a related degree.
- Experience Requirement: Eight (8) years of professional planning experience which must include three (3) years of experience supervising professional planners.
- License/Certifications: By position, requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.
Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
For more information about Denver Public Works: https://vimeo.com/263427065