The positions are open until filled with applications reviewed beginning March 20, 2019.
Two Regular Full-time Positions, 40 hours per week; Exempt FLSA status.
The Puget Sound Regional Council is the regional transportation, growth management and economic development planning agency serving Seattle and the central Puget Sound. The thriving region is home to over 4 million people and is one of the nation’s fastest-growing metropolitan areas. PSRC brings together the region’s diverse counties, cities and towns, native tribes, ports, the state of Washington and civic interests to understand the challenges facing our region’s future and make plans for the region to continue to succeed. The agency serves as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization and is the regional leader for growth management, transportation, and economic development under state and federal laws. Visit www.psrc.org to find out more. PSRC is an equal opportunity employer.
PSRC is seeking two Assistant Planners to join its Transportation Planning Division to perform a variety of technical planning activities under general supervision. The positions will support planning-related tasks by performing quantitative and qualitative research using a variety of demographic, economic, land use, and transportation datasets. This work will include, but is not limited to, the following tasks:
- Collect, process, organize, and manage a wide variety of planning-related data
- Visualize data through maps, charts, and other graphical displays to help examine, transform and convey data within a policy context.
- Perform research, synthesize and summarize analytic processes and findings, and make recommendations to help develop the Regional Transportation Plan and Transportation Improvement Program, and support other major planning programs.
- Ensure high quality and maintain proper documentation for products.
The ideal candidates will have:
- Demonstrated experience in data analytics, visualization, and mapping of planning-related data. Ability to apply statistical, spatial, and other technical skills to analyze data to answer planning and policy questions.
- Demonstrated proficiency with common software packages used to analyze and transform planning-related data, such as Access, ArcGIS, Excel, or Tableau.
- Knowledge of commonly used demographic, land use, and transportation data, such as Census, population, housing, parcel/assessor, zoning, local comprehensive plans, activity and travel surveys, traffic counts, and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and problem-solving skills. Able to coordinate between multiple and diverse work tasks with limited supervision.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and with the general public and planning professionals.
- Knowledge of planning and policy issues related to growth management, transportation, economic development, and local and regional governance is highly desirable.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, or related field.
- At least one-year experience in urban planning and/or related field.
- Or, any combination of education experience in a related field that would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
- To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and completed, signed PSRC application.
- The voluntary and confidential Equal Employment Opportunity, Applicant’s Invitation to Self-Identify – Veteran Status, and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms are appreciated for applicant tracking purposes.
- For application materials, please visit https://www.psrc.org/about/careers.
- Completed materials can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 206-587-4825, or mailed to:
Puget Sound Regional Council, attn.: HR, 1011 Western Ave., Suite 500, Seattle, WA 98104