The City of Pittsburg seeks a SENIOR PLANNER for the Planning Division in the Community Development Department.
The Planning Division facilitates new development consistent with the City's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other State, Federal and local regulations to maintain and enhance the community's quality of life through safety, revenue streams, and sustainability.
The Senior Planner performs professional land use and urban planning work including current and long range planning, implementation of the general plan, review of complex zoning and development applications, and coordination of special projects. Incumbents in this position work independently in the research and analysis of planning issues, and preparation of planning reports, studies and recommendations. Responsibility may include planning, organizing and directing the work activities of subordinate division staff and assumes the responsibilities of the Planning Manager in his/her absence.
Ideal Candidate for Senior Planner
- Knowledgeable of local government functions
- Knowledgeable of regulations, codes, and California laws that pertain to subdivisions, annexations, zoning, land use, and CEQA/NEPA
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to explain technical topics orally and in writing to people with various levels of understanding
- Great interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Meet project time frames and strive to exceed expectations
- Leadership experience that included supervising, motivating, mentoring, and managing talent
- Possess exceptional management and organizational abilities
*This recruitment will establish an eligible list for any future vacancies.*
Tentative Examination Date: April 3, 2019
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, organizes and conducts research studies; prepares reports and recommendations regarding complex land use, zoning, urban design, population trends, transportation, community needs, housing and environmental issues; recommends the use of land for residential, commercial, industrial and community uses with an emphasis on future planning.
- Assists in the management review, development, revision and maintenance of general plan elements, environmental impact reports, plans, ordinances and other policies and procedures.
- Reviews and processes various plans and applications for complex subdivision, housing and commercial developments; determines conformity with laws, regulations, policies and procedures; recommends approval or identifies problems and analyzes alternatives.
- Provides information and assistance to developers, property owners and the public regarding laws, regulations, standards, policies and procedures related to the submission of plans, processing of applications and implementation requirements.
- Assists in the management responsibilities for the activities, operations and services of the Planning Division; may direct, coordinate, review or participate in the work of professional and technical employees in data collection, analysis, plan formulation, implementation and maintenance of a wide variety of planning and zoning activities; provides interpretation of the General Plan, zoning, subdivision and sign ordinances; reviews and critiques C.E.Q.A. and planning documents; coordinates activities with other divisions, City departments, outside agencies and organizations.
- Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public.
Education and/or Experience: A Bachelor's degree in city or regional planning or a related field and four years of increasingly responsible experience in city or regional planning (preferably in a California city or county); one year of supervisory experience is desirable. Master's degree can substitute for one year of experience.
License/Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid Class C California driver's license. Possess and maintain proof of auto liability insurance. Possession of American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certificate is desirable.