Assistant Planner performs professional work in the field of current and/or comprehensive planning; and provides information and assistance to developers, the business community and the public on planning and development related matters.
Associate Planner performs professional work in the field of current and/or comprehensive planning; manages the processing of proposed development and/or affordable housing projects; and provides information and assistance to developers, the business community and the public on planning, housing, environmental and development related matters.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
Two years of recent increasingly responsible complex urban planning experience in current, comprehensive, housing or environmental planning, and possess an AICP certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners.
Candidate will also possess:
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work on different projects with competing deadlines
- Strong work ethic and be self-motivated
- Ability to conduct public counter operations and provide code interpretations
- Excellent writing skills, a highly articulate oral communicative style, and the ability to clearly explain complex issues to a wide variety of constituents
- Ability to produce professional quality comprehensive staff reports and related documents
- Ability to function in a fast-paced municipal environment
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, geography, public administration, environmental science or a related field.
- Experience: One year of planning experience is desirable for the Assistant Planner; two years of increasingly responsible experience in urban planning in current, comprehensive, housing, or environmental planning for Associate.
- Additional Requirements: Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license is required.
- Retirement: CalPERS 2% @ 55 or 2% @ 62 defined retirement plan. Employees currently pay a 7% contribution.
- Medical: $136/mo, plus up to $2,040.18/mo in “Simiflex Dollars” (cash to offset the cost of health or other op-tional benefits).
- Dental: A PPO and HMO plan are available. Employee cost ranges from $0 to $52 per month.
- Vision: A plan is available for a cost of $2.66 per month.
- Life Insurance: $101,000 for employees and $5,000 for each dependent is provided at no cost.
- Disability Insurance: Paid by the City.
- Retirement Health Savings Plan: $200 per month.
- Deferred Compensation: 401(k) plan; the City will match employee contribution up to $185.83 per month.
- Annual Leave (Vacation & Sick Leave): 227.5 hours/year - first five years; 267.54 after five years; & 279.5 after ten years.
- Holidays: 11 paid holidays per year (paid at eight hours each), as well as an 8-hour floating holiday.
- Alternative Work Schedule: Many City positions work a 9/80 schedule with alternative Monday or Friday off.
- Optional benefits and tuition reimbursement are also available.
Application and Recruitment Process
- This recruitment is open until filled and may close at any time. The first review of applications will occur on March 14, 2019, or when 75 applications are received, whichever occurs first. Apply online at https://www.calopps.org/simi-valley/job-19701731
- Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the City’s Application form. Employment applications and supplemental questionnaires must be complete, contain a minimum of ten years of experience (appropriately), and list gaps of employment.
- Selection Process: Candidates who possess the best combination of qualifications will be invited to interview; an interview is not guaranteed.
- Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must submit form DD214.
- Reasonable Accommodation: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance in the selection process, please notify the Human Resources Division, in writing.