The buildingcommunityWORKSHOP ([bc]) is a Texas-based nonprofit community design center seeking to improve the livability and viability of communities through the practice of thoughtful design and making. [bc] has offices in Dallas, Brownsville, and Houston, TX and in Washington DC.
Position Title: Analytics Associate
Start Date: February/March, 2019
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
MAIN PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The work we do is impactful. It is fun. It is challenging. It is rewarding. You will work with people in places where design services are typically not accessible.
The Analytics Associate will join [bc]’s bcANALYTICS effort to strengthen local communities by employing data and research to systematically tackle urban and civic issues, particularly those affecting asset-poor families. The position will work within the bcANALYTICS team, with oversight from the Managing Director, to collaborate and provide research and data support for other [bc] staff.
The Analytics Associate will
- Support on-going projects through data analysis and visualization;
- Collect, analyze, visualize, and report on public and private datasets;
- Serve as a research and data intermediary between [bc] and partner organizations;
- Work with local organizations to develop a more robust research and data sharing culture across the region.
The bcANALYTICS effort facilitates and promotes the informed interpretation of data and its direct use by community leaders. [bc] provides technical assistance, including data analysis and visualization, to community-based organizations to inform strategic decision-making and address urban issues. The goal is to serve community needs and inform local policymaking by providing valuable, actionable information on a local scale.
WE VALUE TEAM MEMBERS WHO
- Are strong team players (of course!)
- Thrive when given independence in project management situations.
- Enjoy supporting our clients and partner organizations.
- Enjoys being ingrained in their local community as well as supporting work in other geographies.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect, analyze, and present education, economic development, housing, health, and public safety from public data sources and private community institutions to a wide range of audiences.
- Prepare context-specific reports from nonprofit organizations to aid in strategic decision-making on a topic identified by the organization.
- Draft and implement data sharing agreements as needed.
- Collect and track community and neighborhood indicators related to trends in quality of life.
- Bachelor’s degree in applied statistics, urban planning, geography, public policy, computer science, or social science with an emphasis on quantitative and/or qualitative research in urban environments.
- Passion for and experience with quantitative or qualitative data collection, cleaning transformation, management, and analysis.
- Proficiency with or expertise in, open-source quantitative or qualitative data cleaning, analysis, and visualization tools.
- Proficiency with geospatial tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, Carto, or Leaflet.
- 0-3 years experience in a related field
- Excellent report writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong creative, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Intensive research experience in academic and/or professional context, including survey design, data collection, analysis, visualization, research writing, or presentation of research to non-technical users.
- Profesional and interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including the ability to listen and interpret the needs of non-technical users.
- Strong Initiative , self-motivation, integrity, and sense of humor.
- Master’s Degree in applied statistics, urban planning, public policy, computer science, social science, or a related field
- Visual and graphic design skills, especially in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in urban planning or another policy field a plus
- Experience with conducting surveys and qualitative data analysis techniques
- Front-end web development skills, such as, CartoCSS, or D3
- Healthcare coverage paying 100% of the Blue Cross Blue Shield HSA Plan for you as an individual
- Reimbursement not to exceed $500 annually for professional development;
- 80 hours vacation
- 40 hours PTO/Sick
- Paid Holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, New Year’s Day)
- Summer Break (1 week, organization-determined)
- Winter Break (1 week, organization-determined)
- 1 floating Faith Holiday (Good Friday, Yom Kippur, etc.)
Position is full time salaried employment
Please email one file containing an interest letter, resume, and work samples. (10mb maximum file size) to: Kristy Ramirez (no phone calls please) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Analytics Associate” in the subject line of your email.
buildingcommunityWORKSHOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.