Regional Planning Data Analyst
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council seeks a Regional Planning Data Analyst to work on cross-disciplinary data analysis and mapping for regional planning projects. The ideal candidate will have the ability to distill complex technical information into well-communicated reports and presentations using a combination of charts, maps, and other data visualizations alongside clearly written, engaging, and accurate written narratives.
This is a position for someone committed to advancing regional equity and supporting regional diversity through inclusive, empowering, and data-driven public processes.
Strong GIS (Geographic Information Systems) skills are a must for this position and the candidate will be expected to collect and organize geographic data, create new datasets, conduct analysis, and prepare maps regularly. The ability to keep pace with deliverables on multiple projects within MAPC, as well as to field and respond to data requests from the public in a timely manner, is critical to success in this position.
The Data Services Department is recognized as a national leader in data dissemination, regional indicators, scenario modeling, spatial analysis, and open source interactive websites. This position is part of the department's Analytical Services team and will report to the manager of that group. To learn more about Data Services, visit www.mapc.org/our-work/expertise/data-services.
MAPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in metropolitan Boston. Our mission is to promote smart growth and regional collaboration. We are guided by MetroFuture: Making a Greater Boston Region, our regional policy plan for a more sustainable and equitable future, which was adopted in 2008. We are currently working on a successor regional plan, MetroCommon2050: Shaping the Region Together, which we expect to complete by 2020.
We encourage all of our staff to develop new ideas to make MAPC's planning and policy work more relevant and impactful, and to adapt to changing times. We strongly support the professional development of each and every staff person, believing their growth to be consistent with the best interests of MAPC and the region.
MAPC's staff includes approximately 100 full-time employees located in downtown Boston in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office. For more information about MAPC, MetroFuture, and the Strategic Plan, visit www.mapc.org/about-mapc and www.mapc.org/metrofuture.
Examples of Duties
- Provide insights to inform local and regional planning projects and engage the public by tabulating and interpreting data and creating maps and conducting spatial analysis. Common data sets include demographics, land use, environmental, transportation, and real estate.
- Expand the possible range of analysis by using spatial and statistical methods – such as network analysis, suitability analysis, and other geospatial processes – to support Data Services colleagues in researching, updating, and developing new data sets.
- Working with the Analytical Services Manager and Data Services Director, answer questions from the public, municipalities, and allied organizations by assembling and sharing data.
- Working with Data Services Department staff, share key findings through the preparation and presentation of reports.
- Develop the capacity of your MAPC colleagues to assess, interpret, and apply data.
- Build relationships with municipalities, other agencies, and allied organizations.
- Conduct other activities as assigned to implement the work plan of the Data Services Department and more broadly, the goals of the MetroFuture regional plan
- A Bachelor's degree in planning, geography, geographic information systems, public health, economics, or a related field and at least three years of experience in GIS
- A high proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS 10.x
- Demonstrated cartographic skills; expertise in the layout of readable, attractive, and meaningful maps
- Experience with creation and updates of spatial and tabular data
- Experience working with diverse data sets from federal, state, and local agencies, e.g. MassGIS, US Census, and American Community Survey
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal staff and the general public in oral, written, and visual formats and an aptitude for teaching in a peer-to-peer environment
- Ability to discuss various types of diversity (racial, ethnic, linguistic, age, ability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, immigration status, and more) as they relate to data interpretation and formulating inclusive, empowering public processes
- Commitment to advancing regional equity
Additional desired skills and experience (a plus but not required)
- A Master's degree in planning, geography, geographic information systems, public health, economics, or a related field
- Experience with applying spatial statistics and methods to analyze land use, smart growth, and equity indicators
- Experience with scenarios modeling using Community Viz, Envision Tomorrow, or other scenarios modeling platforms
- Experience with programming in SQL and Python
- Experience with CartoDB and Infogram
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
This is a full time position. The starting salary ranges from $55,000 to $65,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. MAPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits as well as a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment.
How to Apply
A review of applications will begin immediately. The position is open until filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Those who are interviewed will be asked to submit three (3) references plus a writing sample or other relevant work product.
Apply online at www.mapc.org/jobs. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver's license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region.
MAPC is an EOE/AA employer
MAPC takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.