Chair of Urban and Regional Planning
POSITION SUMMARY: The College of Public Service at Jackson State University invites applications for Chair in the Department of Urban and Regional Planning. The Department Chair will provide leadership, oversight and guidance in all aspects of urban studies/planning, education, research, community outreach, and service program.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION: Earned doctorate in Urban and Regional Planning or a closely related degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Earned doctorate in Urban and Regional Planning or closely related degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- AICP (strongly recommended).
- Commitment to shared governance, transparency, and inclusivity.
- Distinguished record of achievement in scholarship, publication and service.
- Demonstrated commitment to student and faculty diversity and multiculturalism.
- Global awareness about historical, current and emerging issues in urban and regional planning.
- Experience teaching graduate courses full-time at an accredited university at the rank of associate professor or professor.
- Documented record of externally funded research and/or grants.
- Administrative experience relevant to the management of an academic department.
- Experience working with the Planning Accreditation Board and familiarity with accreditation requirements.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess skills in mediation, conflict resolution, and team building.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide strong leadership in balancing student recruitment, enrollment, retention, and graduation.
- Programmatic and budgetary oversight.
- Teach two (2) classes per academic year.
- Engage in ongoing service to the department, college, university, and community.
- Provide leadership in quality curricular development, expansion, and delivery.
- Maintain effective relationships between department, university, community, private, public and nonprofit sectors.
- Engage in continuous research, academic presentations/publications, and identify external funding opportunities for department.
- Mentor junior faculty and support professional growth of all faculty.
- Engage in activities with professional and academic planning, and allied organizations and associations.
- Demonstrate all overall exemplary leadership in advancing departmental goals in alignment with those of the university.
- Resource development.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Interested applicants should apply through the university's employment website at https://jsums.peopleadmin.com or at https://jsums.peopleadmin.com/postings/7283. Only electronically submitted applications will be considered.
Jackson State University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.