Staff Planner/ Land Use
JSD Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated individual to perform work tied to a broad spectrum of land use and development projects, including plats, concept plans, lot layouts, neighborhood / regional plans, master planning, entitlements, research and zoning.
Work Oversight and Supervision by: Senior Planner and Project Manager(s) as assigned.
Job Responsibilities and Expectations: The person employed in this position is expected to provide professional services either as part of a collaborative design team led by a project manager or directly to public and private sector clients as directed and supervised by the Senior Planner. Work assignments will be broad and diverse in nature and the Staff Planner should expect to be engaged in a variety of activities including but not limited to the following:
- Preparing conceptual plans for development and redevelopment of land,
- preparing and administering applications for governmental approvals (zoning, site design, comprehensive plan amendments),
- presentations to governmental agencies and review boards,
- preparing and administering grant applications,
- conducting feasibility studies,
- preparing neighborhood and community plans,
- preparing site development plans for parks,
- preparing budgets.
The staff planner is expected to:
- develop and maintain an effective working knowledge of state, county, and municipal land development procedures and regulations,
- establish and maintain good working relationships with clients and governmental boards and agencies,
- have a general knowledge of the architectural and land development design processes,
- have the ability to generally formulate and evaluate land development and construction budgets and pro formas,
- have experience with managing and engaging in public participation programs, and
- have a working knowledge and experience with the preparation, adoption, implementation and interpretation of municipal plans.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Effective written communication skills for grant applications, zoning applications, research reports, due diligence investigations, and general and email communications with clients and governmental agencies.
- Effective verbal presentation skills in small groups, large groups and venues, and video conferencing.
- Capability to prepare, or direct the preparation of, graphic information in a variety of media and formats including: printed maps and illustrations, display illustrations, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Effective use and familiarity with: ArcView, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with design concepts and capability to read and understand Civil Engineering design concepts for water, sewer, street, and stormwater management infrastructure; Landscape Architectural design concepts; Survey plats and existing conditions and topographic survey maps.
General Requirements: This position requires the ability to work productively in an office environment, effective use of standard and typical office equipment, periodic outside field work (including physical pedestrian and vehicle travel over rough terrain in a variety of seasonal weather conditions, capacity to provide use of own vehicle, travel and attendance at meetings outside of normal business hours.
General Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in discipline similar to Urban Planning, Geography, Public Administration, or Environmental Science and five years of progressively responsible work experience in public or private sector employment related to planning, land development or public administration.
- Graduate Degree in Planning or similar discipline and two years post degree work experience in public or private sector employment related to planning, land development or public administration.
Professional Certifications: None required. Preference for American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or eligibility to apply for AICP certification, and LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP)
Licenses: Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of Wisconsin.
Employment Category: Full-Time Regular, Exempt Position.
JSD Professional Services provides a variety of employee benefits including:
- Health Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401(k) Plan with Company Match
- Direct Deposit
- Vacation and Holiday Pay
- Business Expense Reimbursement
- Flexible Work Hours
- Team Oriented
- Company Outings
JSD Professional Services is always looking for qualified professionals to join our team. If you are interested in any of our current job openings please send your cover letter, resume, references, and application via one of the following:
Human Resources - firstname.lastname@example.org
JSD Professional Services, Inc.
161 Horizon Drive Suite 101
Verona, WI 53593
JSD Professional Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer functioning under an Affirmative Action Plan. We strongly encourage minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.