The MRPB is seeking a dynamic and collaborative Senior Planner, who will be responsible for managing all aspects of planning projects, including community engagement, consultant oversight, and approvals. Works to identify the needs of park users, identify emerging park trends, and evaluate the programs, services and facilities provided by the MPRB. Responsible for the coordination of community data collection and analysis for citywide services through varied and strategic outreach efforts, program and service analysis, and evaluation methods to ensure the park system meets or exceeds identified community needs. Coordination of the integration and implementation of Board approved strategic plans and policies and evaluates how systems are affected when guided by plans and policy recommendations.
What You Will Do:
Performs under the general supervision of the Director, Strategic Planning and is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Responsible to manage all aspects of planning projects, including community engagement, consultant oversight, and approvals.
- Effectively identify, organize and engage resident groups, coordinate input, arrange and facilitate public meetings, prepare and present information and identify community needs by collecting, verifying and compiling data from a variety of sources.
- Develop quality Board actions and/or study items and present strategy, plans, agreements, new initiatives, contracts, and community recommendations.
- Act as project manager for the department or division on projects assigned.
- Function as a liaison or staff appointment between Planning and other departments and agencies to anticipate and assist with issues where appropriate Planning Division coordination will be required.
- Assist MPRB in identifying and addressing the park and recreation needs of underserved and under-represented communities.
Need to Have:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Planning, Urban Studies, Social Sciences, Landscape Architecture, or related field.
- Increasingly responsible professional work experience managing projects, preferably in a public sector position: at least four (4) years.
- Formal training in project management practices required. Certification preferred.
- An equivalent combination of related experience, education and training may be considered:
- Bachelor's Degree in an unrelated field and at least six (6) years professional work experience in either research and engagement strategies or project management.
- PMP Certification and at least 6 years in a Project management role, designing and leading outreach, research and engagement.
Nice to Have:
- PMP or other Project Management Certification (preferred).
Skills Crucial to Success in This Role:
- Principles and practices of state-of-the-art park and urban planning.
- Project management processes, practices, and techniques.
- Outstanding customer service principles and practices with a diverse customer base.
- Provide both oral and written communication that is easily understood and direct in its content and listen effectively to thoroughly understand the intended message.
- Ability to instill teamwork, coordinate schedules and work projects, and lead teams.
- Outstanding customer service principles and practices and standards for a diverse customer base.