Senior Development Manager
Telesis seeks a Senior Development Manager who is experienced in managing and financing affordable housing developments that focus on rental housing, as well as homeownership, with some mix of market rate and middle income housing and mixed use. The ideal candidate would be an energetic, skilled professional and leader who has a keen sense of the funding environment and excellent written and verbal communication skills including public speaking and making presentations.
Founded in 1985, Telesis is an award-winning company that has developed and planned a complex mix of over $2.8 billion in public and private financing for the revitalization of neighborhoods. Its work has involved more than 17,000 units of affordable and mixed-income housing along with a wide range of commercial and civic uses. Telesis combines public and private investment and leverage other resources. It skillfully works with community leaders and residents to secure the organizational, civic, and financial support required for a neighborhood’s success. Headquartered in Washington, DC, Telesis also consults on issues involving affordable housing and community and economic development. Telesis is a New Markets Tax Credit allocatee.
Please see our website at www.telesiscorp.com for more information.
DESCRIPTION OF THE REAL ESTATE WORK
The Senior Development Manager will work on a number of large-scale redevelopment and preservation efforts as well as new construction projects. Developments include affordable multifamily housing as well as mixed-use and market rate and homeownership. The candidate will also be responsible for sourcing these developments through federal, state, local and private funding sources. The Senior Development Manager will be responsible for the oversight and coordination of development projects and will also be expected to research and pursue new opportunities.
The Senior Development Manager oversees and coordinates development activities which require both independent initiative and strong collaborative skills. They will be responsible for the management and development of relationships with partners, funding sources, public agencies, residents, community members and other stakeholders. This requires a candidate who has strong interpersonal and organizational characteristics and demonstrated flexibility and poise in dealing with a diverse range of individuals and organizations.
Core responsibilities include:
- Structuring and securing financing;
- Time management, budget maintenance, and overseeing of feasibility studies
- Financial modeling, forecasting and tracking cash flow for projects;
- Overseeing contracting and construction to ensure that quality standards and schedules are met and within budget;
- Ensuring compliance with all financing and regulatory requirements;
- Identifying and evaluating prospective developments and consulting opportunities; and
- Serving as the lead on any new business applications, funding strategies, etc…
The Senior Development Manager will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer and will work with a team of project managers and assistant project managers in these efforts. Travel will be required approximately 20% of the time depending on the needs of specific projects.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree in urban planning, architecture, engineering, real estate development, construction management, business, finance, or related field is preferred, but not required.
Work Experience: At least 7 years in real estate or community development with at least 3 years in affordable residential and mixed-use development with mixed-income rental and homeownership experience.
REQUISITE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The Senior Development Manager position requires a well-organized person who takes initiative, thinks strategically and favors a collaborative approach to problem solving. S/he must be an experienced manager with strong analytical abilities and a commitment to community and neighborhood development.
A broad-based understanding of housing and community development programs, real estate finance, and project management is needed. The Senior Development Manager must have a strong knowledge of real estate acquisition, financing, public funding, building, management and contract management.
Other important qualifications include substantial experience in the following:
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide range of people and organizations
- Exemplary verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Preparation of complex spreadsheets, schedules, and presentations through use of Microsoft Office.
- Affordable mixed-income, and mixed-use development, including new construction and substantial rehabilitation with multiple sources of funding;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; and ability to assess and manage risk factors affecting projects;
- Ability to lead teams;
- Public programs for finance and support of assisted and market rate development;
- City, state, and federal agency involvement in real estate development
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and description of several recent projects as well as your compensation requirements via e-mail to email@example.com. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits. The Senior Development Manager will be based in our Washington, DC office. Please do not contact the Telesis office by phone or fax.