Planner II - ADA and GIS
Application deadline: 02/01/2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Apply online at www.charlottesville.org/jobs
Support the Charlottesville Neighborhood Development Services Department in fulfilling its vision to facilitate the development of a safe, livable, and well-designed community. Neighborhood Development Services is seeking a qualified candidate to join our team as a Planner II - ADA and GIS who is highly motivated and who strives for success by demonstrating Charlottesville's Core Values of Leadership, Trust, Creativity, Respect, and Excellence.
The starting hiring amount will be $45,302.40 to $63,413.35 annually.
This Planner II is responsible professional work in the handling of a variety of assignments, primarily with American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Geographic Information System (GIS) tasks as it relates to various assignments with City Neighborhood Development Services; does related work as required.
Work is performed under regular supervision; supervision is exercised over subordinate technical and clerical personnel. Primarily and most frequently the work done is performed independently, with diverse functional areas and more specialization and ability to train others.
Americans with Disabilities Act: (80% of Position)
- Acts as the City's Compliance Coordinator for issues related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), including consultation with City staff and citizens;
- Provides guidance and training to City staff on ADA;
- Reviews development plans and oversees City projects and facilities, assuring compliance with ADA;
- Staffs the ADA Advisory Committee which presently meets quarterly, providing technical oversight, and preparing and maintaining Agendas and Minutes for the meeting;
- Monitors the initiatives in the ADA Transition Plan and maintains a matrix concerning project status and other accessibility data;
- Performs research and investigation with appropriate agency enforcement offices concerning accessibility issues.
- Assists in the management of department/division GIS layers and related data, including field data collection and census data;
- Performs GIS analysis using mapping and other related tools;
- Utilizes GIS tools and data to improve the development of business processes within the department/division;
- Ensures compliance with relevant data standards, policies and regulations;
- Assists in the development of automated data management routines;
- Remains knowledgeable about emerging GIS technologies and industry developments;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs independent work in the development of analysis and recommendations regarding current physical, social and economic projects and allied phases of the comprehensive plan for the City;
- Reviews subdivision and site plans for conformity with principles of good planning and land use practices in development and for compliance with subdivision and other regulations as needed;
- Drafts proposed zoning and other ordinance changes, legal ads and notices;
- Prepares elements of the General Plan relating to a wide variety of social, economic, physical and facility planning, including housing and neighborhood, historic preservation and capital improvement planning;
- Prepares technical studies and reports for the City Council, City Planning Commission and City Manager;
- Attends Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board, Zoning, Zoning Appeals Board and City Council meetings as needed;
- Responds to inquiries from the public regarding related activities;
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. (Minimally HS diploma or GED equivalency with relevant work experience required.)
- Previous experience in professional planning work required;
- Previous experience and/or knowledge related to ADA.
- Possession of a valid Virginia driver's license by employment start date preferred. (To view our driving eligibility requirements, go to the 'About City Jobs' section of our FAQs on the HR webpage)
- Master's degree in related field preferred.
- Previous experience related to GIS preferred.
To view a more complete job posting and to apply visit our employment website listed. The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce.