Senior Project Manager, Urban Design
Central Atlanta Progress, Inc. (CAP) is a not-for-profit corporation of Atlanta business leaders, property owners, and institutions working with each other and with government since 1941 to help build a better center city. It carries out research and planning and acts as a catalyst for a wide range of programs and initiatives for the improvement of Downtown Atlanta.
The Atlanta Downtown Improvement District (ADID), founded in 1995 by CAP, is a public-private partnership funded through a Community Improvement District (CID) that strives to create an attractive, safe and livable environment for Downtown. A hallmark of CAP/ADID’s track record of success has been a dedication to leading Downtown planning initiatives coupled with a commitment to implement the resulting project, policy and design recommendations. From comprehensive vision plans and small area plans to innovative public space and park projects, CAP/ADID’s work has identified opportunities and guided public and private investment in order to grow the economic prosperity, elevate the quality of life and improve the image of Downtown Atlanta.
To execute this work CAP/ADID is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated person to fill the position of Senior Project Manager, Urban Design. The Senior Project Manager will report to the Vice President, Planning and Economic Development of Central Atlanta Progress and will at a minimum be charged with these responsibilities:
- Management of the implementation and operations of Arts & Entertainment Atlanta, a neighborhood activation and economic development project for Downtown Atlanta intended to create light, vitality and activity in Downtown public space through multimedia signage and District-funded arts and culture programming.
- Specific activities include managing concept proposal applications and permitting; activation and programming curation and execution; coordination of the AE Advisory Council and other community engagement efforts; and administrative oversight including budgeting and contract compliance: Collaboration with the City of Atlanta Office of Planning to manage all aspects of the SPI-1 Downtown District Development Review Committee (DRC) including coordination of meetings and communication with members and city staff, as well as providing technical and creative knowledge and insight into the devlopment review process; Conception, initiation and execution of various types of urban design projects and initiatives consistent with the mission and goals of CAP/ADID and the Downtown Atlanta Master Plan.
As part of fulfilling the tasks associated with the items above, as; well as acting as an urban design resource through assisting, supporting, and advising CAP/ADID and its stakeholders regarding their interests and projects that impact and interact with these topics, the Senior Project Manager will be expected to:
- Employ a working knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of urban design; and engage in and add value to urban design related issues and discussions that impact Downtown Atlanta in the areas of historic preservation, public art, public parks/plazas, and the public right-of-way, among others.
- Assume project management duties including developing project approaches, the selection and management of consultants, identification of innovative community engagement efforts, scheduling, budget and quality control and the preparation and maintenance of detailed documentation for all projects.
- Work collaboratively with all Downtown stakeholders, including property owners, businesses, residents, students and government and nonprofit partners among others in community involvement processes related to all programs and projects
- Collaborate with CAP/ADID planning, transportation, economic development, capital projects and sustainability staff to support related projects and initiatives; and
- Assist CAP/ADID staff with verbal and visual communication of urban design activities in support of economic development and marketing efforts, including website content.
Interest, Work Experience and Skills Desired
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to the following:
- The successful candidate must be a detail-oriented self-starter and quick learner with exceptional organizational skills and a demonstrable track record of achieving goals.
- Creativity and strong problem-solving and negotiation skills are essential.
- The candidate must be able to manage competing and changing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams within budgetary and schedule constraints.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability and decision-making capabilities are required.
- The candidate must possess maturity and be comfortable meeting and establishing relationships with high-level executives and government officials, speaking to large audiences, and dealing with the general public particularly regarding contentious topics.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are necessary.
- A demonstrated commitment to and passion for working in an urban environment is strongly preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of the fundamentals of urban design including an understanding of the physical, political, economic, spatial and psychological context of urban places and the people who use them.
- Specific experience working with the guidelines and policies that regulate the built environment is desired.
- An understanding of the planning process and project management principles, methods and techniques is required.
- Equally important is the ability to harness creatively and imagination to communicate and graphically represent "visions" for places.
- Proficient computer skills in a networked Microsoft Office environment (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and internet software) and graphic software programs (InDesign, Photoshop, GIS, AutoCAD, etc.) are essential.
Qualified candidates must possess sufficient education, training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the responsibilities of this position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through a bachelor’s degree in architecture, urban design, city planning, urban studies, engineering or a related field. Completion of an advanced degree in these fields is desirable.
A minimum of seven years, full time progressively responsible experience in the above disciplines or a combination of education and experience demonstrating the ability to successfully perform the responsibilities of this position is required. Salary and Benefits Employment, including benefits, is provided through Central Atlanta Progress, Inc. CAP is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, disability, religion, creed, political affiliation, race, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or national origin. CAP offers employees competitive salaries and benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, short and long-term disability and a 401(k) savings program.
To Apply Interested applicants should e-mail their letter of interest and a resume to Dee Davis, Human Resources Manager at email@example.com. Only those applicants deemed qualified will be contacted. No phone calls, please.