Senior Planner - Current Planning
Fuquay-Varina, located in southern Wake County within 30 minutes of both downtown Raleigh and Research Triangle Park, is one of the fastest-growing towns in North Carolina. The population reached 30,000 in July 2018 and is expected to approach 35,000 by 2020. Fuquay-Varina offers a rich quality of life, an extensive park system, two vibrant downtowns poised for significant new investment, and a commitment to maintaining and enhancing its historic charm and sense of place.
Senior Planner – Current Planning
This position requires advanced professional planning experience as it often leads or is significantly involved with larger, more complex planning assignments and projects. The Senior Planner – Current Planning should possess greater independence and judgment while receiving general supervision from the Planning Director. This position supervises current planning division staff and offers the potential for future advancement.
- Effectively manages complex planning projects and reviews development plans and proposals in order to meet firm deadlines.
- Oversees plan review process and serves as primary point of contact for development professionals.
- Performs supervision and overall project management of current planning staff and efforts.
- Provides professional planning assistance to and oversight of staff members of the Planning Department on varied zoning- and developed-related concerns, and organization-wide initiatives.
- Works in regional program areas such as transportation and environmental resource management.
- Schedules and conducts meetings with, and serves as staff to, advisory boards and specially appointed committees.
- Presents reports and other findings to staff, Board of Adjustment, Planning Board, and Town Board, as well as regional partner agencies and organizations.
- Attends and facilitates evening meetings with appointed and elected boards.
- Advanced knowledge of the philosophies, principals, practices and techniques of planning, particularly related to local, state, and federal regulations.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting reports and projects
- General knowledge and experience in development and construction processes.
- Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection
- Demonstrates the core value of customer service through effective community engagement, active listening, and diplomacy in interactions with development professionals, property owners, and the general public.
- Proficiency with multiple software programs, including Microsoft Office, Adobe, and ArcGIS.
The Senior Planner – Current Planning requires a master's degree in planning or related field and four years of professional planning experience, or bachelor's degree in planning or a related field and six years of professional planning experience. Supervisory experience is preferred. AICP certification is preferred.