Urban Planning Project Manager
Urban Planning Project Manager
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
Bloomberg Associates (BA) is an international consulting service founded by Michael R. Bloomberg, the 108th Mayor of New York City and Founder of Bloomberg LP, as a philanthropic venture. BA’s mission is to help city governments improve the quality of life of their citizens. Directed by a team of globally recognized experts and industry leaders, the consultancy works to improve urban environments by collaborating with cities to develop best practices, build consensus and foster key relationships. Through its guidance and mentorship, BA delivers actionable insights and plans to cities across eight (8) different focus areas: Cultural Assets Management, Marketing & Communications, Media and Digital Strategies, Municipal Integrity, Social Services, Sustainability, Transportation, and Urban Planning.
The Urban Planning team serves as a strategic advisor to cities as they endeavor to create a thriving public realm, high-quality open spaces, lively and safe streets, and a thoughtful built environment, and confront complex land use and demographic challenges. The team provides mentorship and direct consulting to mayors and their senior leaders in Master Planning, Neighborhood Revitalization, Land Use Planning, Housing and Community Development, Public Space, and in related fields to help achieve key goals.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Bloomberg Associates (BA) seeks an Urban Planning Team Project Manager to conceptualize, develop, and manage a range of projects relating to urban planning, public realm transformation, and urban economic development for multiple client cities. The Project Manager will serve as a core member of the Urban Planning team, working in close collaboration with his/her fellow teammates and colleagues across the organization to provide innovative, high quality advisory services and support to client cities.
S/he must be an experienced urban planning professional, with his or her core experience in land use planning. S/he would ideally also have expertise in the areas of economic development, such as crafting economic revitalization strategies, formulating public private partnerships, developing governance and management structures, and developing affordable housing and community development strategies.
S/he must be a strategic thinker with proven expertise in project management, analytical skills relating to urban planning, a service oriented mindset, attention to detail, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. S/he must be a team player who can manage projects from start to end, work with many stakeholders, and thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven environment. The ideal candidate would have experience working with government officials in international and domestic cities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Diagnose physical and social challenges and opportunities of sites, neighborhoods and districts and formulate strategic ideas and recommendations-
- Conduct in-depth land use and site analysis, from both on-the-ground and desk-based analysis, and formulate strategic conclusions/ideas
- Review, analyze and craft recommendations around zoning policies and tools
- Evaluate and advise on land use approval processes
- Analyze development patterns, density, land use projections and demographic trends
- Assess physical and spatial assets and challenges and identify relevant solutions in the areas of waterfront revitalization, vacant and underutilized land, etc.
- Craft economic and neighborhood revitalization strategies
- Design and develop management and governance structures
- Structure public private partnerships
- Analyze economic conditions and market forces
- Assess feasibility of public projects and public/private projects
- Design policies that support the growth of specific industries and attract investment
- Determine phasing strategies for public projects
- Structure innovative public-private development scenarios and financing deals to implement projects
- Craft strategies relating to equity and housing affordability
Project and Process Management
- Manage multiple, simultaneous projects from beginning to end, in line with client expectations
- Conduct research and analysis and synthesize key findings into high-quality, easily understandable documents, graphics, presentations and talking points
- Prepare client-ready memos, reports, presentations and other deliverables
- Craft proposals for engagement with prospective city clients
- Work closely across Bloomberg Associate teams to evaluate and develop opportunities for collaboration
Stakeholder Engagement and Influencing
- Organize and lead calls, meetings, events and workshops with clients, partners, collaborators and key stakeholders
- Independently and credibly represent the team in meetings with senior-level clients, partners and stakeholders
- Regularly travel to client cities to meet with clients and other key stakeholders
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related degree
- 5 – 10 years’ experience in urban planning or a closely related field
- Experience administering and managing multiple projects
- Demonstrated understanding of urban planning processes typical within cities (land use review, real estate development processes, etc.)
- Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills
- Language skills are desirable, especially Spanish and/or French
- Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop skills desirable
- Experience living and working abroad is a plus
- Passion for exploring cities and working with local governments
LOCATION: New York City, with approximately 30% - 50% travel