FILING PERIOD: Friday, December 21, 2018, at 8 a.m. through
Friday, January 18, 2019 at 10:00 p.m.
The Los Angeles Department of City Planning (DCP) is accepting applications to hire one (1) Student Professional Worker (SPW) in the External Affairs Unit, working alongside the Communications Team for a minimum period of one year.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting with the execution of the Department’s social media plan on all official platforms, drafting content and assisting with video editing/production;
- Drafting press releases, preparing talking points for media interviews, and supporting the implementation of various communication strategies;
- Aggregating news stories and daily news clippings for Executive Team;
- Designing informational brochures, pamphlets, and marketing materials;
- Managing the Department’s photo library for the Unit;
- Supporting interdepartmental communications;
- Assisting with the Department’s website redesign.
The position is exempt from the civil service provisions of the City Charter and will serve at the will of management. Information regarding exempt employment can be found at www.per.lacity.org/Exams/exempt_info.pdf.
Must be a junior, senior, or graduate student in good academic standing at an accredited four-year college or university, working toward a degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or relevant field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of basic public relations and social media best practices.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently as well as in small groups.
- Experience writing copy for social media, newsletter entries, and/or digital communications.
- Prior experience as a webmaster, photographer, and/or social media manager. If applicable, please attach a portfolio or link to review.
- Prior experience with film editing.
All interested candidates must submit a resume, a writing sample, and City application, which can be downloaded online at http://per.lacity.org/application.pdf. These documents must be scanned as a single.pdf and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: DCP EA Student Professional Worker - Communications.
Only electronic submittals received during the filing period will be accepted. Candidates with the applicable background and experience will be called in for an interview.