FILING PERIOD: Friday, December 21, 2018, at 8 a.m. through
Friday, January 18, 2019 at 10:00 p.m.
The Los Angeles Department of City Planning (DCP) is accepting applications to hire one (1) Student Professional Worker (SPW) in the External Affairs Unit, working alongside the Government and Community Outreach Team for a minimum period of one year.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing responses to public inquiries on behalf of the Department;
- Maintaining the Department’s outreach and engagement log;
- Developing training materials as part of community outreach;
- Handling logistics and execution of community events;
- Aggregating news stories and daily news clippings for Executive Team;
- Drafting of content for informational brochures, pamphlets and newsletters;
- Staffing events, taking photos and assisting with check-in;
- Overseeing the preparation of City Council and Committee packets;
The position is exempt from the civil service provisions of the City Charter and will serve at the will of management. Information regarding exempt employment can be found at www.per.lacity.org/Exams/exempt_info.pdf.
Must be a junior, senior, or graduate student in good academic standing at an accredited four-year college or university, working toward a degree in urban planning or urban studies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently as well as in small groups.
- Experience with civic engagement or some previous volunteer experience
- Understanding of planning issues and/or educational training in planning.
- Prior experience as a photographer.
All interested candidates must submit a resume, a writing sample, and City application, which can be downloaded at http://per.lacity.org/application.pdf. These documents must be scanned as a single.pdf and e-mailed to email@example.com. The subject line should read: DCP EA Student Professional Worker - Government and Community Outreach.
Only electronic submittals received during the filing period will be accepted. Candidates with the applicable background and experience will be called in for an interview.