Historic Preservation Planner
The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
Historic Preservation Planner
($59,984.69 - $88,566.40 Annually)
A Historic Preservation Officer is responsible for coordinating, promoting, and implementing the City's Historic Preservation Program. This position functions as the designated Historic Preservation Officer for the City and is the primary contact for historic preservation activities.
- Developing and administering City policies and procedures for the protection of cultural and historical resources
- Ensuring that City activities comply with historic preservation regulations; and providing technical, architectural, design, historical, and policy guidance to City staff, City Council, governmental officials, boards and committees, and regional, state, and national preservation agencies
- Provides information and technical assistance to property owners, private development interests, and the general public
- Provides staff assistance in the implementation of the policies, goals, and programs of the Historic Preservation Committee
- Maintains the City in good standing as a Certified Local Government (CLG); and carries out the duties of Historic Preservation Officer as mandated by the State of Arizona Historic Preservation Office
- Works with state, regional, and national historic preservation entities to further historic preservation in the City of Mesa
- This position may supervise
- This class performs related duties as required
The Historic Preservation Officer performs work that requires a broad knowledge of the principles and techniques of the historic preservation and professional planning and development fields. Work requires considerable independent judgment and initiative in combining a broad scope of historic preservation and professional planning knowledge and analytical judgments in order to resolve a variety of complex, technical problems. Incumbents are required to carry out assignments without detailed instruction or guidance. This class is supervised by the Planning Director who assigns and reviews work through meetings, conferences, evaluations, reports, and results achieved.
This class is FLSA exempt-administrative.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Historic Preservation, Architecture, Urban Planning, or a related field
- Considerable (3 - 5 years) progressively responsible experience in historic preservation programs to protect cultural resources
- Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license by hire date
- Master's Degree in Historic Preservation, Architectural History, Archaeology, Anthropology, Architecture, Urban Planning, History, Art History, or closely related field
- Three years supervisory experience
- Considerable (3-5 years) progressively responsible experience in the protection and management of cultural resources in local or state government, or the private sector
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications will be available as of the opening date of 11/02/2018. Apply by date, 11/15/2018. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: www.mesaaz.gov/jobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.