Community and Economic Revitalization Strategist
ABOUT COMMUNITY BUILDERS Community Builders (CB) is a nonprofit organization that helps local leaders build livable communities and sustainable economies in the American West. Emphasizing civic capacity and on the ground results, we provide research, training and assistance to advance three core strategies: strengthen local leadership, inspire community action, and enable on the ground change. With a focus on creating meaningful change around land use, transportation, economic development, and housing, we empower local leaders to build more livable places.
THE OPPORTUNITY We are a fun, mission driven team working on the front lines of building livable communities and sustainable economies in the American West. As we grow our team, we seek people who are thoughtful and talented, passionate about building better places, driven to grow and learn within a collaborative team environment, and focused on having an impact.
The community development and economic revitalization strategist will play significant roles in both our community assistance and research programs. This provides the unique opportunity to work in a variety of communities on a wide range of community planning and development projects, while also helping to develop and execute innovative research initiatives addressing emerging issues and trends in community planning and economic development. The Community and Economic Revitalization Strategist will also with existing staff, partners and the CB board to help expand CB’s implementation capacities so that we are better equipped to help local partners implement model projects, programs and policies.
QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate will bring an excellent understanding of urban planning, land development, economic development, infill housing, urban real-estate development and finance, with significant professional experience. They are an innovative and adaptive strategic thinker, who can build and manage teams to create meaningful results. They will have a mix of technical skills and expertise, strong leadership and management capabilities, as well as a passion and commitment to building more livable communities.
RESPONSIBILITIES Project Management and Leadership: Oversees multiple complex projects from on the ground technical assistance to major research projects including staff management, community engagement, meeting facilitation with a focus on supporting planning concepts towards implementation. Community Assistance: Provides technical assistance to communities, both as a project lead and member of project teams, to work with local partners on the physical and economic revitalization of places: from buildings to neighborhoods and corridors to whole communities. Research and Analysis: Responsible for contributing to the thought leadership behind infill and redevelopment initiatives by collecting, analyzing and interpreting data that results in meaningful tools and outcomes to bring on the ground change to communities. 970.928.3412 817 Colorado Ave, Suite 200 Glenwood Springs, CO 81601 email@example.com Program Management and Development: Provides management and oversight of CB’s brownfields redevelopment work, including oversight of the Colorado Brownfields Partnership. Also has the opportunity to lead or manage CB’s programs community planning and economic development initiatives, as well as to help develop and then lead an implementation arm of CB’s work focused on working with communities to implement a range of community and economic development projects.
- Minimum of four-years of relevant professional experience. • Graduate Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Public Administration, Community Development, Economics, MBA or a related field.Excellent interpersonal skills and social intelligence.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, visual/graphic).
- A strong work ethic and desire to grow personally and professionally.
- Able to build and manage effective teams of internal and external partners.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects from conception through completion.
- Able to work collaboratively with a diverse team and external partners.
- Ability to innovate, problem-solve and adapt to change and complexity.
- Strong technical and practical understanding of urban planning and design principles.
- Ability to problem-solve and adapt to change and complexity in a fast paced environment.
- Experience with public engagement and outreach including process design and facilitation.
- Excellent understanding of land use planning and community design principles, zoning and entitlement processes, transportation and housing.
- Strong grasp of new and emerging economic development principles and practices.
DETAILS This is a full-time position based in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The management level at which the position will be filled is dependent on the ideal candidate’s experience and will be assessed through the hiring process. Community Builders offers competitive salary and benefits as well as exceptional professional development opportunities. To learn more about, visit us at www.communitybuilders.org.
TO APPLY Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Community Development and Economic Revitalization Specialist.” Though not required at the time of submittal, we will ask for references for all applicants that we consider for the position. We will notify applicants before calling references and will not contact current employers without permission. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted. Interviews will be scheduled with potential candidates until the position is filled.