This position is responsible for advanced managerial and professional work in the areas of planning and development for the City’s current and long-range planning goals, objectives and initiatives. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, comprehensive and neighborhood planning, development review, conducting research and special studies, interpreting the land development, and reviewing amendments to the code for conformance with the comprehensive plan. Responsibilities include managing and coordinating the activities of professional and paraprofessional planning staff, providing technical advisement on planning and growth management issues, coordination with other departments and agencies involved in planning and growth management, conducting surveys and compiling and analyzing data for planning projects affecting zoning and land use planning. The incumbent will act as the liaison to the various Boards and City Commission on all current planning cases and zoning code amendments.
The list of duties and functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the type of tasks performed within this classification. They are not listed in any order of importance. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Prepares staff reports/transmittal items and support documentation in a timely manner to the City Manager’s office for scheduled Commission meetings.
- Meets deadlines for advisory boards and Development Review Committee meetings; writes detailed case analysis reports related to all aspects of current and long-range planning.
- Researches and drafts new or revised land development codes; reviews staff reports of planning staff prior to submission for approval. Provides analysis and responses regarding the compatibility of proposed development with and Development Codes and Comprehensive Plan designations. Participates in the maintenance and coordination of the current planning agenda, long range planning and related administrative needs through the use of a detailed activity report.
- Provides technical and professional advisement regarding planning and development functions to professionals, management, governing authorities and members of the public.
- Evaluates land use and zoning proposals to insure compliance with applicable City, State or Federal laws, codes, ordinances, and related regulatory standards.
- Represents the City at meetings, conferences and workshops concerning planning and growth management issues.
- Manages and negotiates leases on city-owned property and obtain City Commission review and approval of them through the entire process.
- The lead city planner for all Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) planning issues including CRA amendments, zoning code amendments and redevelopment project funding applications.
- Requires regular attendance to scheduled work shifts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Administration, or related field supplemented by 3 years professional experience as a Planner in a municipal planning function.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification.
- Valid Florida driver’s license without any restrictions affecting ability to perform the essential job duties.
- Master’s degree