Associate Urban Planner/Land Use
Small LA Area Land Use & Permitting firm, specializing in the hospitality industry, currently seeks a full time planner to assist with site research, information analysis, due diligence, plan review/revisions, prepare and file conditional use permits, plan approvals, change of use applications, coastal development permits, revocable permits and other related permits with city & county planning offices. Attend and represent clients at community meetings and public hearings.
- Masters Degree in Planning, Land Use or related field with a minimum o1-2 years municipal or private sector experience (strong internship experience considered)
- Bachelors Degree in Planning, Land Use or related field with 2-3 years of work experience in related field considered.
Job Duties and Functions:
- Research and determine permit requirements and project feasibility for new and existing clients.
- Competence interpreting municipal codes and zoning.
- Review building plans for compliance. Make modifications when necessary. Work with client and architects to meet city/county requirements.
- Prepare and file all necessary documents, plans and application materials needed for design review permits, conditional use permits, special use permits, variances, public convenience and necessity determinations or other required city or county permits.
- Responsible for coordinating and executing effective community outreach.
- Meet with local council offices, police departments and other agencies to obtain project support and advocate for our clients.
- Attend and represent client at public hearings. Follow up unresolved issues with client and planning staff.
- Submit final approval documents and proof of compliance items to appropriate agencies.
- Maintain project schedule, keep detailed project records, meet deadlines and facilitate all aspects of proper case management. Manage multiple projects at one time.
- General office tasks such as answering phones, assisting with projects in other departments and supporting co-workers. Any other tasks or duties that may be assigned as needed.
- Attendance at evening outreach meetings mandatory.
- Frequent attendance at city/county planning/building & safety offices for filings, submittals, case review and consultations.
- Experience working with City of Los Angeles Planning highly desired.
- Proven experience and competence in community outreach. Must have a high level of comfort and confidence in building relationships with law enforcement, neighborhood organizations and city/county personnel.
- Experience speaking in front of groups and agency officials. Ability to effectively strategize, prepare convincing presentations, negotiate and advocate for clients.
- Problem solver.
- Candidate must be motivated, self disciplined, detail oriented, organized and possess excellent research, written and oral communication skills.
- Able to read and edit site/floor plans. Able to calculate area square footage, shelf space, determine parking calculations.
- Able to work well independently and collaborate as team in a small office environment.
- Must be available to attend evening Neighborhood Council Meetings and Public Hearings.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to drive to city planning offices, meetings and site visits.
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. Capable of building client trust and confidence.
- Experience in the State of California preferred.
- Provide solid references and writing samples.
- Punctual and reliable with a positive attitude.
- Ability to immediately assume and manage heavy case load
- Competence in completion & submittal of city planning applications
- Strong research and analytical skills
- MS Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with MAC & PC operating system
Email resume and cover letter/statement of interest.