Assistant or Associate Professor, Urban Spatial Analytics
Assistant or Associate Professor of Urban Spatial Analytics (Tenure Track/Tenure)
The University of Virginia School of Architecture (www.arch.virginia.edu) is seeking qualified candidates at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, depending on qualifications, to join the Department of Urban and Environmental Planning. Applicants should have expertise in GIS, urban and environmental data (e.g. remote sensing, Internet of Things, or other socio-ecological information technologies); geo-spatial visualization, analysis, design and software development; and quantitative methods, including spatial statistics. Responsibilities will include teaching and research in the areas of geospatial analysis and visualization technologies applied to urban planning and design. Expertise in urban ecology, urban poverty, real estate economics, transportation, climate change, or global urbanization and land use change, is particularly welcomed. Our Next Cities Institute and collaborative partnerships in Europe, Asia, India, Africa, South America and the Arctic offer a polycentric urban laboratory for advanced research on global urbanization.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the intellectual life of the School of Architecture and the broader university by teaching and pursuing an agenda of high profile research and creative production. Demonstrated commitment to community-engaged scholarship and inter-disciplinary research is desired and previous collaborations with design disciplines is a plus. In addition to teaching within our two professional, accredited degree programs in Urban and Environmental Planning (BUEP and MUEP), s/he will have the opportunity to teach within our graduate professional programs in Architecture and Landscape Architecture, and our multidisciplinary PhD. The successful candidate will also have the ability to contribute to the development of the School's post-professional Master in Urban Design program and the University's growing Data Science Institute.
- PhD or equivalent advanced post-professional degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Geography, Economics, Sociology, Environmental Science, Public Policy, or similar
- Knowledge of spatial data analysis and visualization methods/technologies
- Demonstrated experience in teaching spatial and quantitative methods
- Work experience in a diverse, interdisciplinary setting
- A well-defined and actionable research agenda and publication plan appropriate for achieving tenure
To apply, visit http://jobs.virginia.edu and search for Posting Number 0624049.
Complete a Candidate Profile online, and attach:
- Cover letter expressing interest and qualifications for the position, including summary of notable accomplishments in research, teaching and leadership
- Contact information for three references
- Statement of research interests (Other 1)
- Statement of teaching philosophy (Other 2)
- Digital Portfolio of examples of teaching and research
Digital Portfolio materials should be submitted to UVA Box at https://virginia.app.box.com/login uploaded as a single PDF file (10 MB max.); share this file through UVA Box to Shelley Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: November 15, 2018.
For questions regarding the position, contact Associate Professor Ellen Bassett, Search Committee and UEP Department Chair, email@example.com.
For Jobs @ system related assistance, contact Michele Jarman, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
The search committee is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.