Community Development Director
The City of Horace is currently seeking a talented professional to fill the role of Community Development Director. This is a rewarding opportunity to make a difference in a dynamic, well-managed city!
The Community Development Director will plan, direct, manage, and oversee city planning, economic development, and code enforcement/building inspection activities. The Community Development Director will coordinate with and represent the city planning department to other departments, elected officials, and outside agencies.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Prepare and update planning studies for the Comprehensive Plan to include neighborhood, district, and sustainability plans as needed.
- Manage and oversee major activities and special projects related to long-rang and sustainability efforts.
- Coordinate with other governmental entities, organizations, and stakeholder groups on planning projects.
- Process and analyze proposals for zoning text and map amendments, land development, conditional use permits, subdivision plats and regulation amendments, and provide and present recommendations related to long-range planning goals, objectives, projects, and the Comprehensive Plan.
- Summarize information from maps, graphs, reports, and field studies to compile, prepare, and illustrate long-range planning studies, census information, and special projects.
- Manage long-range planning efforts with other governmental jurisdictions.
- Enforce zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Prepare City Council legislations, such as ordinances and resolutions, related to both planning and economic development matters; develop and revise applicable City codes, policies, procedures and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration, Geography, Community Development, Sustainability or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least three years of experience in city planning, economic and community development or related experience; equivalent combination of related education and work experience may be considered.
- Experience interpreting and applying laws, statutes and/or ordinances governing planning, zoning, building, and economic development.
- Success with applying principles, practices, and techniques of planning and development, zoning, urban design, and sustainability to include local resources.
- Experience in interpreting legal descriptions of land, preparing/presenting written and oral reports/documents, strong time and multi-project management skills in a collaborative work environment with others, and strong communication skills.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with peers, superiors, other City departments, subordinates, vendors, contractors, external government agencies and organizations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
A complete list of responsibilities and qualifications can be reviewed at www.cityofhorace.com. Qualified applicants are encouraged to send a letter of intent and resume via email to email@example.com. The position is open until filled with first review of applications on October 15, 2018.