Transportation Engineer / Transportation Planner
MAPA is the Council of Governments serving a five-county MAPA region (Douglas, Sarpy and Washington Counties in Nebraska and Mills and Pottawattamie Counties in Iowa). MAPA serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization to coordinate the transportation planning process for the Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan Area.
Purpose of the Position: MAPA is seeking a talented candidate to help expand the technical base of our agency’s planning services. This position is a new position for MAPA, and will be built largely around the capabilities and interests of the right transportation planner or transportation engineering candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research and prepare statistical planning reports on proposed transportation improvement projects. Depending on the experience and interest of the candidate, projects may include bicycle pedestrian planning, safety analysis, parking and curbside management, and/or input on design during the project development process.
- Prepare and interpret quantitative and qualitative data for reports, maps and related graphics.
- Confer with local authorities, civic leaders, and development specialists on transportation projects.
- Conduct field evaluations and assessments.
- Update publications and/or reports as assigned.
- Compile and analyze various computer databases and/or statistical data.
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil transportation engineering, urban & regional planning, or a relevant degree and one to two years of direct or related transportation planning experience.
- Master’s Degree with a concentration in transportation engineering or planning preferred and relevant experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with traffic engineering methodologies and reference materials, such as the Highway Capacity Manual (HCM), Highway Safety Manual (HSM), Intersection Safety Analysis Tool (ISAT), AASHTO Green Book, NACTO Design Guides, the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and/or travel demand models is a plus.
- Must have strong organizational skills and the ability to prepare and interpret quantitative data. Ability to work independently and with limited supervision, establish priorities, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines required.
- Good written and verbal communications skills and ability to work effectively with internal/external customers required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as email, calendars, scheduling, etc.
- Experience with ESRI Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software is encouraged.
Anticipated starting salary: $48,900 per year plus generous benefits for 40 hours per week. MAPA reserves the right to hire at an appropriate level. MAPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Resumes and applications will be accepted until close of business October 12, 2018.
For more information on MAPA see our website www.mapacog.org.
Submit resume to:
MAPA Personnel Officer
2222 Cuming Street
Omaha NE 68102-4328