Senior Urban Planner / Project Manager
About Us: Sargent Town Planning is an award-winning urban design studio based in Downtown Los Angeles. We are creative problem solvers focused on making human-scale, transit-ready urban places of sustainable long term value. Our small core team collaborates regularly with creative firms and colleagues in allied disciplines around the country, attracting ambitious clients who retain us to resolve interesting, complex and challenging urban design and planning problems for which there are no formulas and few precedents.
We believe the success of all urban places begins with the design of the public realm calibrated to its urban context, and have spent the past 10 years working with public and private-sector clients to achieve predictable, desirable, and long-lasting outcomes.
About the Job: Our work load is outgrowing our team size and we are looking for an experienced (5-10+ years of professional experience preferably), capable and creative Senior Urban Planner and Project Manager with a bent toward design, a passion for place-making, and the ability to think and work at a wide range of urban scales and contexts. We are a small studio, so you will be working regularly and directly with our principals, design team, and multi-disciplinary collaborators to:
- Analyze and define design, policy, regulatory, and programmatic solutions to complex urban planning challenges;
- Organize those solutions and design concepts into visually compelling, clear and instructive plan documents and presentations to generate client and community understanding and support, and streamline implementation efforts;
- Help manage ongoing projects and their interdisciplinary teams, typically including STP staff, subconsultants, private developers, municipal staff, public agencies, and often multiple stakeholders.
About You: To excel in this role, you should have significant experience and ability in preparing plans (master plans, vision plans, specific plans) and vision based (form-based) development standards and design guidelines, and have a deep understanding of the connection between urban design, planning and place-making. The ideal candidate will possess all or most of the following skills, qualifications, relevant experience and demonstrated capabilities:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in urban planning, urban design, architecture or landscape architecture;
- Experience in preparing and presenting visually rich plan documents and presentations;
- Experience preparing form-based development codes and design guidelines;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Proficiency with (or ability to quickly learn) a variety of design software necessary for daily workflows; including Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint, Sketchup, AutoCAD, and GIS;
- Strong project and team management abilities and intuitions;
- Experience preparing proposals and promotional presentations is desirable.
Application Details: Email your resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have additional skills, experience or qualifications beyond those listed above, please tell us about them. This is a full-time position with benefits, salary and profit-sharing commensurate with experience, demonstrated capability and performance. Benefits include fully paid medical, vision and long-term disability insurance, flexible scheduling to accommodate family responsibilities, as well as paid vacation and sick leave.
We Value Equality: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse team. Hiring is based on ability without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status, or other differences.
For more information please visit our website at www.SargentTownPlanning.com.