Development Planner, Calgary Communities
Number of Openings: 2
Development Planner 1: 2-5 Years’ Experience
Development Planner 2: 5-10+ Years’ Experience
Approximate Start Date: February 3, 2014
Are you looking to make a difference? At Brookfield Residential, formerly Carma Developers, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our continued success.
Brookfield Residential is a well-known and respected land developer in Western Canada with affiliated operations in Ontario and the United States; specializing in master-planned communities, home building, and commercial development.
As one of Canada’s Top 50 employers, we offer an inspiring work environment where people strive to excel. Headquartered in south-west Calgary in the convenient Currie Barracks area, our values of Passion, Integrity and Community defines both who we are and why you’d want to work at Brookfield Residential. We employ some of the most skilled, creative and versatile people in our industry, who consistently deliver solutions for our clients, both external and internal.
We have two immediate openings for Development Planners in our Calgary Communities division. This exciting opportunity requires two results-oriented, career professionals, who thrive on building relationships and communities; and share our values and commitment to excellence.
Visit our website at www.brookfieldrp.com to learn more about our history, values and long track record in creating ‘the best places to call home”.
Reporting to the Senior Development Manager, the Development Planner provides support to project leads, provides input to the planning and design of new communities, helps manage development applications and consulting teams, liaises with approval agencies (primarily the City of Calgary), provides background research, reporting and technical support, and takes on special projects as required.
This position will be based in Brookfield Residential’s Calgary office, located in the SW quadrant of the city, close to Mount Royal University.
This position requires an individual with strong professional work ethic and time management skills with the ability to set goals, establish timelines and manage multiple competing objectives. We are looking for someone with excellent people skills, relevant planning experience, an ability to assimilate, simplify and analyze planning issues and policies; and strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Providing support to the planning and Calgary Communities’ team, the Development Planner role will include diverse areas of responsibility, including the following:
• Assist project leads and provide project support, coordination and reporting as required.
• Help manage and liaise with consultant, contractor, and/or approving authority contacts to address and help resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Provide planning research and policy support as required.
• Build and maintain strong external relationships with relevant planning, governmental and approval agencies (especially the City of Calgary)
• Help manage stakeholder engagement and communications with the assistance of the respective manager.
• Committed to understanding stakeholders and building collaborative internal and external relationships.
• Depending on seniority and experience, the position may involve direct project management.
• Project administration (e.g. reporting, invoice coding, project and budget tracking) as required.
• Monitoring and reporting on all planning policies, issues and information that could alter future plans.
• Analyzing and reporting key information to team members and Calgary Communities.
• Attend and support internal and external meetings.
• Produce accurate schedules, memos, visuals and letters.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Development Planner 1: 2-5 years planning experience (Alberta urban municipal experience preferred).
• Development Planner 2: 5-10 years planning experience (Alberta urban municipal experience preferred).
• Planning Degree (minimum CIP recognized Undergraduate degree); preference for Master’s degree.
• MCIP Eligibility & APPI Membership is desirable.
• Developed skills experience in current planning, research, policy and long range planning, urban design, planning theory, project management, computer and graphic competency.
• Excellent verbal, written and graphic communication skills.
• Experience with financial aspects of land development, budgeting and cost management is desirable.
• Hands on experience with planning applications (writing, negotiating, processing, approvals).
• Positive and professional attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, strong professional work ethic: a team player.
• Motivated, independent and flexible: a self-starter.
• Ability to listen, analyze and clearly relay information clearly to others
• An enquiring, analytical, and insightful mind and a positive and entrepreneurial attitude
• Alignment of personal values with Brookfield Residential’s values of “Passion, Integrity and Community”
• Takes responsibility for one’s own performance.
• Accomplishes set objectives; follows established work schedules and daily tasks effectively.
• Strong planning skills, knowledge and experience and belief in continuous improvement.
Brookfield Residential offers a value driven culture, flexible working environment, meaningful work activities and learning and development opportunities. We offer a comprehensive and competitive package of salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
If you meet or exceed our qualification requirements, please forward your cover letter, resume and evidence of academic and professional achievement to:
4906 Richard Road SW
Calgary, Alberta T3E 6L1