Planetizen has recently launched Planetizen Courses, the next generation of online training in planning and related fields. Our online video courses are available anytime and anywhere you have an Internet connection.
Planetizen Courses are developed in collaboration with working professionals to provide practical skills that planning professionals use in their work.
Planetizen seeks experienced instructors to provide one-hour, computer-based courses. Instructors develop and record courses (video, audio, and screen capture) from the instructor's own computer using screen recording software provided by Planetizen. Instructors can work anytime, from any location.
- Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience (any field, any format).
- Minimum of 1 year of planning, design, architecture or related experience.
- Demonstrated expertise with the topic(s) you propose to teach.
- Prepared curriculum. (Ideally, you are already teaching the topic, and can deliver a similar course for Planetizen.)
- Instructor should have a functional, licensed copy of the software for demonstration.
- Excellent computer/Internet literacy.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent presentation skills.
We are seeking instructors with experience across a diverse set of fields to develop video courses. We know we want courses on the following topics, but we are also open to topics not explicitly mentioned here. If you propose a course on a topic not mentioned here, please be sure to tell us how/why you think it will be a compelling course for practitioners of the built and natural environment.
- ArcGIS Online
- Autodesk 3ds Max Design
- AutoCAD Civil/Civil 3D
- AutoCAD LT
- Cisco WebEx
- Citrix GoToWebinar / GoToMeeting
- Drupal (to build a planning-related website)
- ESRI City Engine 3D Modeling
- GRASS GIS
- Land F/X
- Microsoft Project (managing planning projects)
- Open Geo Suite
- Open Trip Planner
- Rhino 3D and VRay
- 'R' Statistics & Programing
- Social media management software
- URBEMIS & emissions modeling
- Wikis (for public participation)
- WordPress (to build a planning-related website)
- Participate in an initial orientation call or Skype meeting.
- Prepared a detailed course outline in consultation with Planetizen.
- Record and deliver an initial 5-minute sample.
- Record a screencast course of 60 minutes, including video, audio and screencast content.
- Provide a course and chapter summary for all recorded materials.
- Courses must be completed within 3 months of the project start date.
- Compensation is on a per course basis, based on experience.
- Please submit a brief cover letter outlining your teaching experience.
- Please submit a one-paragraph summary or brief outline of one or more courses you'd like to teach.
- Please submit a resume.
- Please contact Chris Steins, Planetizen Editor, via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your potential interest in becoming a Planetizen Instructor.