Controversial Eisenhower Memorial Gets Another Update and Crucial Commission Approval

The long-running saga surrounding Frank Gehry's design for a memorial to Dwight D. Eisenhower may actually be heading towards a resolution with last week's vote of approval from the Eisenhower Memorial Commission.
June 26, 2013, 7am PDT | Jonathan Nettler | @nettsj
Share Tweet LinkedIn Email Comments

"After 14 years, the last several of which have been marked by criticism from the Eisenhower family and architectural traditionalists, the Eisenhower Memorial Commission voted to move forward with the Frank Gehry-designed memorial to the 34th president," reports Lonnae O'Neal Parker. 

"Last week, the House passed a bill to scrap the design and start over with new commission members," she notes. But the unanimous commission vote "allows the architect to take his plans to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts next month and the National Capital Planning Commission in early fall for review and approval."

"Commission Chairman Rocco C. Siciliano said he had spent 10 years as president of the Eisenhower World Affairs Institute and a lifetime making sure differing viewpoints were considered. The Eisenhower family 'deserves to be heard, but does not deserve to be obeyed. I want to be very clear there is no attempt made here to railroad, or walk over outside opinions, particularly those of the family,' Siciliano said."

Full Story:
Published on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 in The Washington Post
Share Tweet LinkedIn Email