6 Keys to a Better Life in L.A. - On Foot
Going car-free in L.A. has many advantages: annual savings that can add up to many thousands of dollars, more time to read and answer emails, and a guaranteed daily workout. It also has its challenges, from unreliability to crime concerns.
"Being car-less is not for everyone," says Walker, "but it’s worth trying one day a week as an experiment. You might find it as liberating as I did. It’s called going car free for a reason."
She dispenses 6 suggestions for making the transition:
- Draw a two-mile circle around your house
- Start wearing a pedometer
- Stock up
- Download Metro’s excellent app
- Have your groceries delivered
- Join a car-sharing service