- Your PDF document will be created immediately for you to download. This process may take up to 1 minute.
- You can access your PDF document from the "My Files" page in your Planetizen account for up to 30 days.
- Your PDF will be password-protected with your email address.
- By purchasing the PDF version of the Guide, you agree to be bound by the terms of the Planetizen Digital Content License Agreement.
- PDF Enterprise Edition is a multiple user license for educational institutions, agencies, and private organizations.
- Foreword by Richard Florida
- Introduction from Managing Editor Tim Halbur
- Planning in Developing Countries by Paul Smoke
- Careers in Planning
- City Planner
- Regional Planner
- Federal Planner
- Zoning Administrator
- Environmental Planner
- Public Health Planner
- Planning Consultant
- GIS Administrator
- Land Use Lawyer
- Careers in Development
- Non-Profit Developer
- For-Profit Developer
- Economic Developer
- Careers in Transportation
- Transportation Planner
- Airport Planner
- Careers in Politics
- Public Policy
- Planning Commissioner
- Careers in Research
- Representative Jobs
The Insider's Guide to Careers in Urban Planning (ISBN 978-0-9789329-4-7) is published by Planetizen Press.
Copyright 2009 by Urban Insight, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form by any electronic or mechanical means (including photocopying, recording, or information storage and retrieval) without permission in writing from the publisher. All content included in this book, such as text, graphics, logos, images, and data compilations is the property of Urban Insight, Inc. or its content suppliers and is protected by United States and international copyright laws.
The Journal of Planning Education and Research says:
"...this is a useful volume for urban planning students and faculty. Students, especially those who are beginning to wonder about eventual employment in the field, will find this an especially valuable book, and faculty members useful as a quick office reference when advising students on career options."
"Planetizen is on the pulse of planning today. This guide provides the type of expert insight you'll find nowhere else."
- Carol Coletta, host of Smart City Radio and president and CEO of CEOs for Cities.
"I wish I'd had this book when I was in school. A great resource for focusing your efforts in urban planning. "
- Jeff Wood of Reconnecting America and The Overhead Wire blog
A Behind-the Scenes Assessment of Jobs in the Field
- A Professional, Behind-the-Scenes Assessment of 25 Careers in the Field
- A Chart of Representative Salaries Illustrating Advancement from Associate to Director Level
- Insightful Essays from Urban Planning Professionals
Planetizen's Insider’s Guide gives you a guided look at the variety of fascinating careers available in planning, design and development. Interviews with professionals from A (Architect) to Z (Zoning Administrator) reveal the challenges and rewards of their work, and their advice on how to get a job. We've included lists of significant employers and additional resources for every area of practice, and salary examples.
Also available for download
In Our Store
- For the home