Urban Fold

Car-Dependent Kansas City

Urban Land Institute president Patrick L. Phillips says his hometown of Kansas City needs to mend its car-centric infrastructure and encourage denser growth in the suburbs.

Phillips cites data from the Center for Neighborhood Technology measuring the expense of housing and transportation for households:

"...on average, Kansas City residents were spending 23 percent of their income on housing but 33 percent on transportation, for a combined total of 56 percent. In fact, Kansas City transportation costs in proportion to residents' incomes were among the highest in the study, exceeding New York, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C."

"The data also show the extent of Kansas City's car dependency: Most of the area's residents drive an average of more than 18,000 miles per year for work and errands (nearly twice the national average)..."

Full Story: Moving toward becoming ‘an intelligent city’

Comments

Build Your Own Paper Block City

Urban Fold is an all-inclusive kit that allows anyone to build the city of their dreams with a few simple folds.
$24.95
building block set

NEW! Build the world you want to see

Irresistible block set for adults when placed on a coffee table or desk, and great fun for kids.
$25
Book cover of the Guide to Graduate Planning Programs 4th Edition

Thinking about Grad School?

The Planetizen Guide to Graduate Urban Planning Programs is the only comprehensive ranking and listing of graduate urban planning programs available.
Starting at $24.95

NEW! Get the "Green Bible"

Understand the complexities of planning at the local level while preparing for the AICP* exam. Find out why this edition is included in the APA's recommended reading list.
$105