The Tempelhof airport has been fully purchased by the city, taking over the final holdings from the federal government. The airfield had sat unused since 2008. The park is expected to open to the public next May.
"Tempelhof, built in 1923, operated until October 2008 when dwindling passenger numbers led to the closure of the facility. It is most famous as the West Berlin airport where Allied pilots continuously brought supplies into the city in 1948-49 as the Soviets tried to starve the city into submission during the Berlin Airlift."
Thanks to ArchNewsNow