The Christian Science Monitor blogger Eoin O'Carroll summarizes some important recent trends in American urbanism:
- population loss and economic decline in rust belt cities leading to plans to bulldoze neighborhoods;
- the challenge of relocating people from declining areas to more prosperous ones;
- the demographic shift towards city centers;
- the energy benefits of dense areas;
- the bulldozing of new suburban neighborhoods in the wake of the foreclosure crisis;
- and the potential for more pre-fab construction to make urban areas more flexible.