The I.O.U. Tollbooth

The Northwest Parkway in Denver has very little traffic in the wee hours, so officials decided to experiment with I.O.U. forms left at the booth.

"Doug Watt, a visitor to Denver, was not impressed by service on the Northwest Parkway. "You are the most rinky dink operation I have seen in my life," he declared in an email to the Parkway. Watt said he "sat forever in a line of cars" as each driver tried to figure out an IOU form that is left in a rack beside a booth for motorists using the tollroad between 10pm and 6am when the mainline plaza is unmanned.

Steve Bobrick, operations director readily admits they have problems still, though he insists the problems arise with a small percentage of the mere 200 motorists who use the tollroad during what he calls the graveyard shift.

"98 percent of our customers find no difficulty at all. We've got work to do on how to handle the remainder (2%)."

Since December they've been without toll collectors in the mainline plaza booths 10pm to 6am.

Bobrick says laughing: "I'll accept the blame" when I ask him whose idea it was."

Full Story: NW Parkway leaves mainline plaza unstaffed overnight to experiment with cashless
Tags: 

Comments

Prepare for the AICP Exam

Join the thousands of students who have utilized the Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class to prepare for the American Planning Association's AICP* exam.
Starting at $199
Planetizen Courses image ad

Planetizen Courses

Advance your career with subscription-based online courses tailored to the urban planning professional.
Starting at $14.95 a month
DVD Cover of The Story of Sprawl

The Story of Sprawl

See how America changed shape in this collection of historic films that visually document how sprawl evolved.
$29.99 for 2-DVD SET
Book cover of Contemporary Debates in Urban Planning

Contemporary Debates in Urban Planning

Featuring thought-provoking commentary and insights from some of the leading thinkers and practitioners in the field.
$18.95